Can any person ID these OLD primers

This is the first time I have joined and posted a question. I am brand new to your forum. If I mess up, please guide me.
I hope the below two pictures appear properly. Does anyone know what make and the year that these primers are ?
My diret e-mail is: Jagerdad@clearwire.net
And, I am in Lathrop California South of Stockton and Sacramento)
Jagerdad

[

Jagerdad–That primer is the Winchester Protected Primer used on cartridges for tubular magazines. It was introduced in 1895 using the Winchester #5W (0.210 diameter) primer for small caliber cartridges. In 1904 the #5 1/2 (0.237 diameter) was introduced for large rifle cartridges.

BTW, that is a VERY nice box of EARLY Super Speed .32 Win. Special. from about 1927.

I have never seen primers like that before. You know your stuff big time, RON!!!

Jason
PS: Welcome to the forum and the IAA, Jagerdad.

Thank you for your response. I am trying to learn how to post pictures so I have added a couple shots below. One thing of interest in an apparent gun shop had an ink stamp that they used on the old box of 7mm Mauser ammo below. Yep, the gun shop was in Texas.

[

]
[/img]
[]
[]
[][/img]

Here’s a neat old W.R.A. Co. Protected Primer. I understand that each primer was individually hand stamped. ;) ;)

Ray

Were the early primers marked or was it a later feature?

Your 45-90 cartridge is like a fine piece of Art work. That alone may be one driving factor as to why I enjoy old ammo and old ammo boxes.

Lately it seems like everything at a gun show must be a black gun, an endless magazine and pallets of ammo. Don’t get me wrong, I truely love such things but the old stuff is simply: ART and from a time in American history where I would guess, a company and saleman had to really earn a sale.

Think of the 32 Special load. It was 110 grains. In my eye’s, aside from really large game, a 32 special gains ballistically with such a loading and it would do very well on most Deer. It is also especially interesting that they did this in THAT cartridge. As I recall camp fire stories…the 32 was made to attract the oldest of buyers back then: The Black Powder shooters.

I’m not smart so if Ron or a person well versed on history wishes to add on this marketing decision in a 32, I am all ears.

I took a picture of the back side of the above 32 special ammo box. We never see this type of help on an ammo box these days.
Very neat.

[

]
[/img]