Can anyone help me identify this round

Came buy a number of old cartridges this was in the assortment. I have no clue what it would be for can anyone help. It measures at .53 cal. and is 1.8 inches over all. Believe it used percussion cap

50 Maynard?

1 Like

Thank-you very much, did some research after your post. You were absolutely right definitely a Maynard round but believe it is probably .52 cal.

Appears to be a Maynard cartridge. But without measurements and a profile and base pic tough to say exactly.

No such thing as a .52 Maynard, Cal. .50 was / is still a common round.

According to the research I have done it came in 3 calibers .35, .50, and .52. Go on line yourself check Wikipedia first models were .52 cal… I do thank the gentleman that pointed me in the right direction I was able to take it from there

Could you please provide a link to the Wikipedia?

All the books and collections I’m aware of list this M.65 in Cal. .35, .40, .50 and .55 along with the shot gun shells in .55 & .64.

Pete;

I am by no means well versed regarding Maynard cartridges, however:

Chuck63: The cartridge pictured in the Wikipedia article and called a .52 is actually, as cartridge collectors call it, and Pete mentions, a .50 Cal. Model 1865.

Randy

Thanks Randy
I can only think the .52 was a typo in Wikipedia for either .55 or perhaps .40?
Neither the King, or the Hoyem volumes mention a .52 & neither does the Geroge Murphy articles or Lyle Dennison mention it in their collection notes.

I never trust anything in Wikipedia unless I can check the reference that was cited.

1 Like

Link is Guns.Fandom.com/wiki/Maynard_Carbine
They state that it was originally chambered in .52 cal. The bullet I have mics out at .530 just at top of the brass. Seems too small for a .55 cal and to large for a .50

Ok three things you have to remember these were made in 1865 up until the 1950s for shooters. One other thing is they were also sold as new empty cases even back in 1865. So that your example has a slightly over size bullet doesn’t mean much.The lead does show light oxidation. & it could well have been loaded for a shot out firearm?
3rd thing is that the actual measurement of a bullet or gun bore is not always represented in the name of the cartridge.
Below a chart of the measurements of three ,50-50 Maynard M-1865 from The King book. Note the bullet diameter variations.
Maynard called it a Cal…50 not a Cal .52.

In the brass rivet version he lists .520", .526" & .520".
in the dummy version he lists .524’, 521", and .523".