Canadian .303 Drill rounds

I obtained the pictured packet of .303 inch drill rounds at SLICS from our Journal editor.

As you can see, it reads “.303 INCH D. MARK VII L.P.” and contains typical Canadian chromed, fluted and holed drill rounds headstamped “19 DAC 22 VII” and also from 1923.

I had always considered these to be Local Pattern D Mark VI until this packet turned up. Notice though that the second “I” of the “VII” is hand written and the packet was originally for D Mark VI L.P. I have now heard of two more identical packets with the same handwritten addition from “VI” to “VII”, but in Australia.

The question is are these actually Mark VII and old Mark VI packets used as an economy? That is certainly not unheard of with British packaging.

The second anomoly is that the packaging looks distinctly British and not Canadian. The label number (H290) is British rather than Canadian also.

The Drill D Mark VII was not introduced until 1932 for Naval Service and later for Land Service, so when were these packed?

Any thoughts please, especially form our Canadian friends?

Regards
TonyE

Hi Tony, I have a similar packet and it is also marked with an additional “I”. (Its in pencil and the flash looks to have washed it out.)

Here is my speculation… I would think that they would be packed in the 1930’s. Here in Canada there was a lot of “make work” projects done by the Canadian government to put people to work during the depression. I know that during this time there were a lot of building projects on DND (Dept. of National Defense) bases and such. It would make sense that there would be packing/re-packing of material using “recycled” or old packaging to save costs.

There seems to be a flood of 1920’s dated drill cartridges floating around here in Canada.

This is just my speculation and I have no “proof” in regards to documentation.

just my 2 cents.

I have the same packet, acquired in Canada ten years ago. Mine contains a mix of headstamps: two 1918, one 1922 and seven 1923. The arrangement of the drilled holes also varies, the 1922 one has the drilled holes arranged in a spiral down the case, the others are in two pairs. I believe that these drill rounds started life with just the four holes, the flutes were added at a later date to all those in store. If you study the holes, some are distorted by the pressing of the flutes. Unfortunately the paper of my packet is disintegrating.

I also have loose rounds dated 1917 with the spiral hole arrangement, both with and without the primer anvil being set down.

gravelbelly

Thank you gentlemen, it seems from the distribution that these packets with the manual alteration were produced in some quantity.

That brings me back to my original question of when were they packed, as the official D Mark VII was not introduced until 1932. Were these rounds thus made in the 1930s using old cases or were they just given a change of nomenclature?

Are there any records in Canada?

Lots of questions but so far, few answers!

Regards
TonyE