Canadian .303 Mk VI

Can anyone tell me when Canada commenced ringing the caps on their .303s.
This date appears very early.
I don’t have a profile photo but dont think it a gallery practice where the headstamp is ringed out.DAC 19 12 VI

1 Like

Ringing ( crimping) primers was introduced in 1915 for use in Lewis and Vickers guns in Aircraft, where a loose primer cup could jam a gun without possibility of clearing it in mid-air.
Canada had a practice of refurbishing ammo, to bring it back to firing condition…eg, the early primer replacement in live MkII ammo in 1900…due to defective primer composition is one such.
I would suppose all the early production ( before 1915) was recalled from store, and put through a " ringing" press, before being issued…MkVI was still used in MGs at least in Training, as well as certain campaign areas.
So whilst the Cartridge is " 1912", it could have been ringed in 1915 or 1916.
Ringing/ crimping after final manufacture isn’t limited to Empire made .303…
The French stab crimped US contract ( from Britain) .303 when making .303 tracer for Aircraft use ( 1916-17) from disassembled ammo. ( replacing powder, assembling G&B made projectiles.)

Doc AV

3 Likes

Thanks Doc,
That explains it. I thought the date was a little too early.

A little more digging has turned up some data from long before digital. I’m not sure of the source so can’t give credit where it is due.
Canadian hstps.pdf (378.1 KB)

This seems to show that ringing began in early 1912 before the change from Mk VI to MK VII and continued into 1913 after which it ceased during 1914 to 1918.
The attached packet photo is very interesting being a Mk VI packet from July 1912, with ringed primers. Fits the data in the headstamp list and confirms the headstamp shown earlier in this thread.

DAC VI Ringed

Any further information on these early Canadian packets and headstamps would be welcome. Particularly packets from August 1912 onwards.
Thanks
John

1 Like