Canadian 7,62x51 drill (dummy) cartridges

Whilst thumbing through the Collectors Grade book on the FN-FAL today I was struck by the involvment of Canada in the design and testing of the FN-FAL rifle, almost from the inception of the project. A quick search through this site revealed no information on dummy or drill cartridges used during this process in the early to mid 1950’s.

Can anyone share their knowledge on the topic of inert cartridges in 7,62x51 produced in Canada (or made elsewhere, but used by them) before the rather garish and shiny ‘IVI’ examples of the 1970’s and 80’s?

In anticipation and with many thanks in advance.

Peter

Peter,

NATODave would be one person to ask. Below is my earliest, but my 7.62 collection is very small. The cartridge below is and odd seemingly Tin coated unibody. The head and tip are non magnetic, but the upper middle is magnetic. The tip also has a small pin hole that is 8mm deep.

Joe

Here are examples of early Canadian drill/dummy cartridges from my collection.

From left to right

1. Br case, GM bullet, milled neck cannlure, blind primer pocket, 3 case holes
  2. Br case, GM bullet, blind primer pocket, sand filled
  3. Cadmium plated Br case, GM bullet, blind primer pocket
  4. Nickel plated Br case, GM bullet, blind primer pocket
  5. Br case, GM bullet, milled neck cannlure, blind primer pocket, 3 case holes
  6. One piece Br “bullet” and case, blind primer pocket, 3 case flutes, hole in “bullet” tip, case is empty
  7. One piece Nickel plated Br “bullet” and case, blind primer pocket, 3 case flutes, hole in “bullet” tip, case is partially filled (material attracts a magnet)

NATO Dave

There are many variations. Here are a few sets (drill, blank and ball) in chronological order. Sorry, but I don’t have any time to make a complete headstamp listing. If anyone has any questions about any of the rounds, I’ll be happy to answer them.

This last group is very special. They were done up to represent, if adopted, the colour codes. Of course they were not developed to this extent. It may be an unique set.

Paul

Nice, very nice. WOW!

Paul, great post, thanks for sharing.