Canadian alloy cases

I have just written an article for the Journal on British post war trials of aluminum cases. In researching this I came across this Kynoch 1947 drawing of a Canadian 20mm Oerlikon alloy case. Does anyone of our Canadian friends have any further info? Any other calibres?

Regards
TonyE

This is probably not an answer that will interest you, but IVI made 9 mm Para with aluminum cases in 1971, with standard IVI headstamp (+ IVI 71 The plus mark indicates the NATO symbol.). I have them in ball with plain aluminum case, brass primer with purple seal, and GM FMJ RN bullet, and a NUPE case anodized gold color. I have full length, rose-crimped, six-lobe blanks with the same primer and PA and the same headstamp, in those two colors. Lew Curtis probably has many more. There is one with a red wood bullet too, but I personally think it is a fake. I suspect you were interested in aircraft cannon or artillery shells, not this, and probably from the WWII area, but since you did not specify, I thought I should answer. There may be other calibers as well from the 70s, such as 7.62 x 51 mm - I am just guessing, since as you know, I don’t collect those.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting this drawing. Dominion Rubber Munitions Ltd (a subsidiary of United States Rubber Co.) was contracted to start production of .5" Vickers in late 1942 and they established a factory at Cap de la Madeleine (Three Rivers/Trois Riviere). The manufacturing equipment was provided by Dominion Arsenal. 20mm Oerlikon replaced the .5" Vickers in 1944 and 20mm was manufactured to the end of the war.

Aluminum cased 20mm Oerlikon can be found dated both 1944 and 1945. I have a complete draw set and components from another.

Here is a picture of a draw set (for space, I’ve left out the annealing and trimming steps).

This is a factory dummy (no primer) and fired case. The dummy shows signs of hardness testing around the circumference of the base.

Headstamps of the dummy, fired case and another piece showing the different overstamps that can be found (01, 14, E). The fired case is dated 1945.

As for other calibers, this 20mm HS round is attributed to Dominion Arsenal (I don’t know the dates). I think that the side of the case from which the anodizing was removed was for hardness testing.

Paul

Excellent Paul, many thanks.

The picture of the burn through looks almost identical to ones I have of British 20mm Hispano cases (which will be in the article)

If you want a better resolution scan of the drawing I have one, but it is about 5Mb.

Regards
TonyE

Tony, any chance to get this drawing as well?

hello
your rounds are very nice
i like aluminium casing but they are hard to find (and see) for these 20x110 (oer and hisp)

Thanks John. I have an unfinished (unloaded) blank and a dummy from the alloy IVI 1971 9mm series and would quite like a loaded ball round. If you see one around save it for me at the next SLICS!

I should have been more specific in my original post. My article is specifically about the British trials that took place between 1945 and about 1955/6 and were for all the then British service and experimental calibres, both cannon and small arms ammo.

Regards
Tony

My British 20mm H/S and those THOUGHT TO BE Canadian below. Both of the empty BRIT cases and the upper Canadian example show Berdan pockets with two vent holes. The Canadians? also show Berdan pockets but the lower example (darker) has three vent holes. These Canadians? do not have the final coating (unknown to me what this coating is) to the base/head as can be seen in the headstamp photo.
The loaded British round is headstamped “53 K 20 M/M 14” (read CCW) in the same style as the two empty cases, and has a ring crimped flat brass primer. This round also has an odd crimp or case constriction just below the shoulder and with the stripe on the case (shown) makes me wonder if it was part of a test? The case constriction was done after the case was anodised, as I can see scratches in the finish.

Anyhow hope these are of help & sorry if a bit tilted.

great drawing Tony & fantastic drawset Paul.
edited once to correct vent hole numbers

Large cal blank