Canadian MkII .303 charger

Does MkI Canadian exist? If yes, I’ll start looking for one.

I’ve never seen one, or heard tell of one. A far as I know the MkI was only made in the UK and India.

Your question raises an interesting point and one I’d not thought about. Canadian production seems to halt at the MkIV, I’ve never come across a MkIV* or a MK4 from there. The MkIV was introduced in 1917 but was soon proved to be inadequate and was fairly quickly replaced by the MkIV* … so what were Canadian production cartridges made after about 1920 supplied in, if they were packaged in chargers ?

Peter

Canadian Militia did not use use charger loading arms until 1912 which was after the adoption of the MkII charger.

Orange,
Why did not they use chargers before 1912?

possibly because they were still in love with their Ross rifle at that time?

Unfortunately, I do not own Ross. I thought Ross calibre anf feeding system were identical to Lee-Enfield.

The MkI and II short Ross did not use a charger. The MkII** 4th pattern introduced in 1912 was the first fitted with a charger guide.

I have a Canadian-made mk.III charger which would appear to have been made in a pretty narrow sliver of time; like maybe 1916 or 1916-'17? There’s no indication of producer other than the broad arrow in a C, which I’m assuming indicates Dominion Arsenal production, or at least acceptance. Jack

Are these Mk.ll chargers scarce? (I know nothing about chargers)
Zac

Given that these things were made in vast quantities, they were “use once and throw away” items so all early Enfield chargers, just like anything disposable from over 100 years ago, are getting scarce.

MkI chargers are now very hard to find, hardly surprising as they were only in official use for 3 years, from early 1903 to mid-1906. The last one I found was a couple of years ago now although 4 years ago there were quite a few on eBay, being sold individually at quite high prices, that had had the original finish removed and replaced with a light-grey phosphate.

Here’s what to look out for;

This ones from Royal Small-Arms at Enfield itself, the very earliest ones look unmarked but are actually very faintly marked on the inside on the base.

Peter

Edit; In a time of war these chargers we’re disposable, during peace-time exercises they were to be gathered up after use and returned to stores.