Canadian WWII .455 MkVI "half case" battlepack

How common are these? And may I see an inside carton, it came empty ?

Boy, that’s a lot of box just to hold 240 Revolver Cartridges!

John, it is actually quite small (and cute), a miniature of a real battle pack.

Vlad - I knew from the quantity that the box would be small, as even the individual cartridge packets are small. I was really commenting on the practice of making wood crates that hold such a small quantity of ammunition. Seems like a very inefficient idea from the standpoint of raw materials and labor utilization, as well as shipping. I am sure they had their reasons, though.

Hi Vlad,

Here’s the crate I have. I can’t comment on the rarity, but they were built to last!

Paul

A couple of 1940’s era .455 MK VIz boxes. I can’t say 100% for sure that these would have been packaged in either of the above battle packs but they are typical Canadian packaging.

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]A couple of 1940’s era .455 MK VIz boxes. I can’t say 100% for sure that these would have been packaged in either of the above battle packs but they are typical Canadian packaging.

[/quote]

You are correct Pete. That’s they type of box that would have been in the small crate. The .380/200 were packaged in a similar fashion.

What you have is what was known as a “Half Case” pack, specifically developed originally for the Royal Navy. The Crate is Half the volume of a standard rifle Cartridge crate. The size eventually was carried over for all Pistol ammo deliveries, at least Revolver ammo (smaller Usage); The 9mm cartridges were supplied in a Standard (Rifle) Type crate.

“Half Cases” are quite uncommon these days…

Nice Canadian Example. DC ( Dominion Cartridge) …CIL-Dominion commercial Factory, Boxer Primed ammo, Nitro load.

Doc AV

Here is mine… dated from the 1930’s

For interest here is my .380 box as well.

Missing Something - Is the number on the outer label of the .455 inch H558 or H588 please?

Pete - can you see any difference on the labels of the two .455 packets you show? One is H601A and the other H601B.

Thanks
TonyE

Tony
No differences other than color of the label & both say I.G. CANADA.
I do have another with a Nov 20 1944 date which is a “H. 601 A.” while the Dec 30 44 box shown, does not have period after the “A”. Probably just a different type setter at work as there is also a space between the H. & the 601.

[quote=“TonyE”]Missing Something - Is the number on the outer label of the .455 inch H558 or H588 please?

Pete - can you see any difference on the labels of the two .455 packets you show? One is H601A and the other H601B.

Thanks
TonyE[/quote]

Its

H.588
6M - 9-31 (5091)
H.Q. 1622-12

many thabks!

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]Tony
No differences other than color of the label & both say I.G. CANADA.
I do have another with a Nov 20 1944 date which is a “H. 601 A.” while the Dec 30 44 box shown, does not have period after the “A”. Probably just a different type setter at work as there is also a space between the H. & the 601.[/quote]

The only significant difference that I can see is that one label has the letters “DC” and the other has “DI”. As these letters are part of the original printing, not rubber stamped later, I suppose that the print blocks being different would account for the different label number.

I noticed that label difference, “DI” being “Defense Industries” and “DC” being “Dominion Cartridge (Co.).” I was rather surprised that the DC label was later than the DI label though.

opps !