Can't identify this 7.62x51. Help please

I recently acquired some 7.62x51 at a gunshow. I have no idea where it came from. I’ve searched the internet over, with no luck. I don’t have a camera, but here’s the specs:

Date: “79” at 12 o’clock
Caliber: “7.62x51” at 6 o’clock
Other: “*” (6-point asterisk) at 3 o’clock
Other: 5-point asterisk at 9 o’clock

Brass case, copper FMJ bullet, green sealant on primer.

Please tell me what you know. I mainly want to know if it is safe and non-corrosive. Thanks.

Hi!

The different asterisks (5 and 6 points) sound like an HIRTENBERGER product, but a picture would be the best to ascertain it.

Cheers!

Phil

[quote=“zakmatthews”]I recently acquired some 7.62x51 at a gunshow. I have no idea where it came from. I’ve searched the internet over, with no luck. I don’t have a camera, but here’s the specs:

Date: “79” at 12 o’clock
Caliber: “7.62x51” at 6 o’clock
Other: “*” (6-point asterisk) at 3 o’clock
Other: 5-point asterisk at 9 o’clock

Brass case, copper FMJ bullet, green sealant on primer.

Please tell me what you know. I mainly want to know if it is safe and non-corrosive. Thanks.[/quote]
Can be Hirtenberger ?

The asterisks look exactly like these. Also, the primer is crimped in 3 places.[/url]

Thanks for the hirtenberger lead. I searched it on gunbroker and found that is what it is.

Now for the good part, I got 120 rds on stripper clips, in 2 bandoleers, w/ a M14 mag loader and a .30cal ammo can for $40. Not too shabby these days.

To the best of my knowledge, any Hirtenberger 7.62x51mm should be non-corrosive. I’ve only fired a small amount of it, and never did fire it for group or chrony it for velocity.

If it’s like the other HP products I’ve used, it’s very high-quality stuff.