Carcano Frangible Ammunition

Hello. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I chose to join this forum after several internet searches on Carcano ammo ultimately led me here. I must say that the members here are very knowledgeable about ammunition.

I am currently attempting to gather as much information as I can about Carcano frangible ammo used for indoor marksmanship training. In particular, I am interested in Carcano frangible ammo made post-WWII, possibly as late as 1953, or later.

What fascinates me is the construction of the later models of bullet. It seems some had a solid lead nose inside the copper jacket, followed by powdered lead and finally sand in the base. It is hard to tell from photos but, it appears these had a small amount of the lead tip exposed, as well.

There seems to be very little info available about these bullets. Were the jackets made from copper alloy? Were the jacket walls as thick as jackets on FMJ bullets? How was the nose section of the jacket attached to the rest of the jacket? One person told me the two were soldered together but, having done a fair amount of plumbing in my time, I can’t see how this seam could be soldered without melting the lead core beneath it.

Any information offered would be most appreciated.

P.S. Were these frangible rounds loaded with a reduced amount of gunpowder, in comparison with regular Carcano ball rounds?

Hi Traveller,

check this out:

munizioni.eu/munizioni/index … er-carcano

In my opinion, the best study on the 6.5 Carcano available on the web and made by CESIM, the italian collectors association. Every frangible loading you are looking for is described very well

Anyway, after WWII there were essentially two types of frangible loadings available: the Magistri M37 and the II Type frangible, that has no lead tip exposed

Thank you for that link. The diagrams are very informative, and have explained a number of things to me. Is there any written material beyond the page with the diagrams? Unfortunately, seeing the diagrams has only brought more questions to my mind.