Carcano ID'S or corrections?

I have just finished sorting another lot of old 6.5 Carcano rounds and they are throwing up more questions than answers, any help with this will be appreciated.
1= BP C-49 5= SA C-51
2= CA B-42 6= SG C-56
3= CA C-42 7= RM B-44
4= TR B-43 8= RM B-43
APOLOGIES FOR THE ORIENTATION.
1 = My reference states BP =Bologna 1920’s unknown inspector! please correct me as this is Capua 1949 ??

2 + 3 = My reference shows CA for Capua, but 2 = Bologna,please correct ??
Note no second “dot” and smaller print on the Capua round.

4 = My reference shows TR for Capua, why B-43 for Bologna , please correct me??

5 = My reference shows SA for Bologna, 1885-1889 why C-51 for Capua , please correct me.

6 = My reference shows SG unknown inspector for Capua, any dates??

7 +8 = My reference shows Rubino, Mario Chief inspector Bologna , 1942 only then , why these dates??
Terry.

Firstly, there has been a lot on the Forum about these headstamps already. See thread dated January 25, 2007, posted by Falcon, “7.35 Carcano Headstamp Question.”

Secondly, do not confuse the top entry, the Inspector’s initials with the bottom entry, the arsenal and date. It is coincidental that there are inspector’s initials that are the same as the initials of the arsenals.

Thirdly, remember that the initials are, by American standards, backwards. It is common in Italy to use the last name first, even in initials.

Many of these initials are unknown. The Italian Government still holds much information on arms and ammunition to be “classified” even if from WWI and before.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. The name going with the initials B.P. is unknown, but has been noted on this Forum as having appeared on both Capua and Bologna cartridges in the 1920s. Remember two important points. Dates of use are based on what the person compiling any given list has personally noted. they are not etched in stone. Secondly, these initials stand for Inspectors - Government Employees - who were subject to transfer from one Arsenal to another at the whim of the Government, based on need or any other Government criteria.

2 + 3. Sources from this forum have noted that “C.A.” (Alfredo Cavalli, or “Cavalli, Alfredo”) has appeared on both Capua and Bologna-produced ammunition.

1. T.R. is unknown. I have no date given for the use of these initials on any cartridge. Two possibilities - he was transferred from one arsenal to another, or there may have been two Inspectors with the same initials. the former is more likely.

2. The double use of “S.A.” so far apart probably represents a case of two different inspectors with, coincidentally, the same initials. If not, he was very young when at Bolgona and quite old when at Capua. Not impossible but unlikely.

3. “SG” was at Capua in 1956, as your cartridge shows. I have a Capua-made .380 from 1954 with “DCE” as the inspector’s initials, the same caliber with “SG” from the same year as your Carcano, 1956, and after that for Capua, only headstamps where they had stopped using the Inspector’s initials on the headstamp, my first being dated 1963 from Capua. From these, it is hard to pin down the exact dates, except to say mid-1950s to a date unknown. Perhaps someone who collects dates can pin it down closer.

7-8. Regarding your reference to Mario Rubino, the answer is simple - your reference is incomplete, and was probably based on just observation of the single date. I have those initials on a 380 auto cartridge dated 43, and the ones on your Carcano for 43 and 44 make it obvious that he was at Capua longer than just 1942.

Do not take any list of these Inspector’s initials as being complete. We have plenty to learn yet about this subject.

John,
Thanks for revisiting the topic and giving it your usual thorough coverage - would make an interesting article for the journal. I have printed your response for my info file.

Thank you John,
I have over the past couple of months obtained three different lists of Carcano dates and inspectors initials, but with so much contradiction between them [definite answers with no substantiation]I thought it would be a good idea to throw the headstamps of my newest acquisition up for debate rather than assume one of the lists was correct or go with my first assumption that over the years there were perhaps two if not more inspectors who shared initials.
Terry.
The other reason this was important to me is because I was unsure as what to include in my personal headstamp list.

Perhaps BP is another pair of initials which represent more than one chief inspector. I have Bologna-produced specimens from 1911 and 1918 in my collection and White and Munhall show 1915 and 1920 examples. BP shows up at Capua in 1942 and, as shown in this thread, again in 1949. The 1942 marking occurs on a revolver cartridge. JG