Cartridge Auction coming

A visitor to my website asked me to spread the word about auctioning a large collection of cartridges. I said I would share here as I think this may be of interest to many of you. His email is below along with the website for the auction…www.brandusedworks.com

Hello Curtis, I just found your site online and I feel I needed to reach out to you for help. My Name is Paul and I own Brand Used Works Auction House, and we just picked up the estate of lifelong cartridge collector Gary Hoffmann and it is massive! I am hoping you may be able to lend a few suggestions or maybe be able to send me in the right direction or be able to share this event with other collectors.
Next month we will be selling his collection in an online only no reserve - no minimum auction. The partial catalog is currently online and we are adding about 500 cartridges to it daily. We have not set the date as we don’t know how long it will take to get finished! We have had the help of a local collector to help identify many unknown, pre civil war, and experimental rounds that we are not familiar with. If you can, would you please take a look at the partial catalog to get an small idea of what we will be selling, and I would appreciate any ideas of how I can successfully get the word out to the cartridge community. Our website is www.brandusedworks.com I would greatly appreciate it if you can get back to me either by email or give me a call.

Update..there are so many cartridges he feels it will be 2-3 weeks before her gets everything uploaded…items uploaded thus far are on line now…He also said there are many early cartridges coming.

Umm, … wow. Lots of rare stuff in there. What is going on with lot #49 with the .55 Boys rd that looks like it has another cartridge stuck in it, or a strange rebated projectile of sorts:

Also, I guess I wasn’t aware that Lake City had done a makarov headstamp at one point - along with a few other pistol headstamps which have tags on the cartridges marking them as “armscorp” related?.. lot #159

Paul,

Gary Hoffman was a friend of mine who was a very active cartridge collector for many years, and I’m not surprised that his collection has many great cartridges. He is well-remembered by many of us. Because he lived in San Jose, California, and because California has recently implemented some very strange, stupid, and strict laws dealing with the transfer of even one round of ammunition without going through a “vendor/ dealer,” if your auction is to be held in California, I recommend you carefully check the California requirements for you to transfer ammunition to a California resident, in California, or to ship ammunition to a California buyer (or even out of state). It’s a real shame you have to take this precaution, but fore-warned is fore-armed, so to speak.

Mel, Paul’s auction house is in Colorado, but he still has to worry about selling to CA.

Matt
LC the actual Govt. arsenal, didn’t make these, but another used the LC logo / name.

Knew Gary, talked with him often. Nice person, very informative… He had a nice collection to say the least. Gary, Fuller and Shapiro were like the 3 Amigos as I recall. A friend alerted me as I have been absent from the forum for a bit. looked at just 3 things alerted too and all three the descriptions (not Gary’s) are wrong. Someone with time has to help this Paul fellow. I looked a little further and more mistakes. Unfortunately I do not currently have the time.

Joe

Some of the “rare” cartridges are excellent replicas, stamped with an R on the case, but not all (see Lot 109) are announced as such, nor is there a photo showing the R . Just FYI. Possibly, as time progresses, this will be corrected…

Randy

Perhaps a word about Gary’s collection?

He died without a will & this was found after he passed by others & so the state took it all, but as he had family, it came to them via the state & at first they didn’t want it, but apparently have now changed their mind and are disposing of it through this house.

Perhaps this might help understanding the marketing of his collection.

Matt this .55 Boys is some variant of a squeeze bore projectile.
Without seeing it separately it is hard to tell if a Janecek design (most likely) or if a Gerlich design.

Of course no statement on genuity.

Here’s to hoping there won’t be TOO much competition on some of my grail rounds. Hey, you guys have gotta let us young’uns get some of the cool stuff, too! ;)

Seriously, though, this auction has the potential to fill some holes in my collection that I didn’t expect to get for another decade or two.

I think this reinforces how important it is for us to properly catalogue/record our collections, or at least the better specimens. I have heard of so many deceased estate collections now that have been sold off for peanuts or been the victims of unscrupulous individuals (some of them thought to be ‘friends’) that have ‘helped out’ the widow/family.

I am no pin up boy for this, but, keep a catalogue of your collection, what the item is and a means for someone coming in cold being able to reconcile your description with the actual item, what you paid for it (and don’t ever think that your wife doesn’t know!) and some rating of rarity and a list of individuals that you trust to help out should you drop off the perch.

The Australian Cartridge Collectors Association (ACCA) has run very successful auctions for some years now which has often included deceased estates and of those leaving the hobby, thanks to the efforts particularly, of two dedicated members. The results have led to some excellent returns for families conducted on a fair and transparent platform within the collecting fraternity. Even if you are a solitary soul with no family, consider the best way for your collection to remain within the brotherhood and get the respect it deserves.

I’m sorry, but I’m a bit confused…are those the names of cartridges, the names of Olympic Snowboard tricks, or possibly Pokemon?
I have never heard of a “17 FLINTSTONE SUPER EYEBUNGER” before!

It’s a .17/22-250 Jon!

Dan

Jon
LOTS & LOTS of typos in those names.

My wife Gaye, who most of you know was married to Jim Tillinghast, told me any number of stories about guys buying cartridges from Jim & then stating “don’t tell the wife how much I spent”.
Your 100% correct if you kick & she has no idea of the worth of it, it deprives her of income when she needs it most.

I only have my mother and she is in failing health at 89, but I still tell her often that I put a price with extra fine maker on each round worth more than $5.

Agree with what Peter says about collections getting scooped up for peanuts unscrupulously.

Joe

I Have discussed with Joe. He has no idea about cartridges at all and has no issues stating so. His descriptions are what he is trying to decipher from labels and papers left with them. Many are hard to read so there are many typos. He has a local cartridge collecting guy in Colorado assisting with many of the cartridges and the older primitive type that are yet to be posted. He says he still has a few thousand to go. Many typos for sure…thats why he is putting 4 pictures of all cartridges to give everyone all angles for a fair glance to determine for themselves if reloads, fakes etc. It is also an unreserved, no minimum bid auction where everything will go. I am sure you will find some gems in there.

Agreed…I discern no intent to deceive any buyers…acknowledging these are uninformed descriptions.

Examples I see after scrolling thru 1000+ images…a fired piston primed flechette case described as “with firing pin still in” or the few proof marked rounds listed as “red tips”

One will need a comfortable chair and refreshments to digest this auction

Nothing ventured…nothing gained

Curtis,

I thought the fellow was Paul? Who is Joe?

Joe

Per previous posts, Gary Hoffman did not leave a will. The cartridge collecting community is very fortunate that Gary’s collections did not end up a California waste disposal site sealed in 50 gallon drums destined for destruction. This was a real possibility. The auctioneer is doing his best to describe items and post pictures.
This is a opportunity for everyone to add to their collection and perhaps get a “deal or not”. We collectors will be happy, the auctioneer is happy and Gary’s relatives will be happy.
For every deal that is had, someone will overpay on another cartridge.
The IAA is a volunteer organization and as such is not equipped to be in the estate cartridge auction/disperse-mint business. Those are plans that must be made by the collector.
Enjoy the auction!!!
Bob Ruebel