Cartridge Board £6,995 ( approx $9,000) new

Today we have been shopping in London at Harrods. Not that we ever buy much but its a family tradition this time of year and we visited a few other places as well.
In the gunroom at Harrods there was a new cartridge board 3ft x 4fton the wall with price tag as above. All the cartridges, about 100 in total, were shiny (too shiney) and brand new although they appear to have one of each of the new Kynoch (Kynamco) range a lot of the cartridges were pretty mundane .308, .270, 7.62x39, .223 etc The frame wasn’t anything special either

There was no attempt to make it look old or original. I was thinking how much better I could do. Now Harrods is a top dollar store but this was over the top even by their standards.

About twenty years ago I made up quite a few boards and sold them. They had some good original big game cartidges on them too, as well as lots of other interesting cartridges like .455 autos and the like. If I say so myself, they were pretty good. Each one was bigger and better than the one before.

Now I am thinking I should get back into it commercially, Is there anyone else out there who does this among the members of the forum?

[quote]There was no attempt to make it look old or original. I was thinking how much better I could do. Now Harrods is a top dollar store but this was over the top even by their standards.
[/quote]

Yep, Harrods is very expensive and the quality of the wares sometimes doesn’t match the price. I actually worked at Harrods, I know what goes on there. I have no doubt you could make a better cartridge board than them!

Hi guys. We have the same sort of things in the U.S. I was in Beverly Hills, a posh part of the Los Angeles Environ where the “rich and famous” shop, on business, and decided to look around a few of the stores of the famous Rodeo Drive. First and only time a peasant like me went to places like that. A regular semi-department store had, in a glass case, a Colt Detective Special 2" .38 Revolver, Gold plated and with ivory grips, NOT engraved. They want $4,000.00 for it. Let’s see, at the time (25 years ago), it was a about a $125.00 gun, with $50.00 ivory grips and perhaps about ten dollars worth of gold plating! It was the only gun in the store, and I’ll bet they were not licensed to sell firearms, and I would also bet they were not going to do the proper paper work or hold the gun for the (then) three-day waiting period. Today, in California, they wouldn’t get away with that. Then, nobody in a place like Rodeo Drive, including the Beverly Hills Police, would have given a dman. That always stuck in my mind as the worst reip-off I had seen to that date. I have seen plenty of better ones since!

John Moss