Cartridge Board

I’m new to cartridge collecting and seeking some help. I would like to make my own cartridge board but not sure the best way to hold the cartridges in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[quote=“jazzman251”]I’m new to cartridge collecting and seeking some help. I would like to make my own cartridge board but not sure the best way to hold the cartridges in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks[/quote]
When I was making cartridge boards, i wired them to the board by drilling holes the diameter of the wire on each side of the round. I would drill holes at the extractor groove level and at the neck level and twist the wire ends tightly in the back. I used aircraft safety wire but, have also used monel wire and had no trouble of the wire staining the cartridge brass. You must be very careful not to use paneling as it is treated with fire retarding salts and will corrode the brass. Many woods will also cause rapid oxidizing of the lead or soft nose bullets. M. Rea

As a further comment on using wire. DO NOT USE COPPER WIRE. The two dissimilar metals will cause corrosion. All of the types of wire mentioned in the above post are fine as is brass wire. Hot glue will work also, but I would not use it on any cartridge with any value. I have never tried to remove hot glue but I think it would be difficult. Also, I do not know if hot glue would cause staining of the brass. For cheap, common cartridges the glue would be a lot easier to use than wire.

I made framed

I’ve wanted to do the same thing using copies of lithographs of the old cartridge boards as the backgrounds…a poor man’s cartridge board as it were. As an experiment, I mounted up a set of Weatherby cartridges using a background of foamboard covered with a velvet cloth. I used fishing line around the cartridges at the neck and extractor groove to hold them to the board. The fishing line is virtually invisible. That was seven or eight years ago and as of today there is no discoloration or sagging. Now if I can just set aside a few hundred hours to mount up the big boards…

Rich