Cartridge Collection at NRA Whittington Center

While certainly not comparable to the Woodin Laboratory, it is a reasonably large collection, accessible to the public. The display method in drawers with glass tops and each specimen secured by some sort of screwed down cable tie may not appeal to most cartridge collectors, but seems to be a reasonable compromise between accessibility and security.

Several photos of the Robert G. Rowe Cartridge Collection are found about 2/3 of the way down on this page:

Nice displays, well down. A little surprised to see them all in wood
cabinets, no matter how beautiful. Of course, a museum at that level
probably has enough know-how to arrest any properties in the wood
causing damage to exposed lead in projectiles and general, slow
oxidation to brass cases. I still prefer steel cabinets.

The glass makes it hard to examine important specimens that might
be there, but it is a good move on their part. Unfortunately, without it,
they would probably have to have a couple of guards right there anytime
a drawer was opened.

All in all, a first rate job considering the problems of displaying cartridge
collections to the public. Hope one day to get down there and see their
museum, especially their library.

John M.

As the person who evaluated Bob’s collection for donation I should point out there are a number of mistakes in the display, which have been carried through to the printed posters available from other sources.
I agree while beautiful, the cabinets have the individual rounds secured with a plastic band and are labeled below with the case type. However they are not in an order a cartridge collector would be OK with.

Ron Stadt’s shot shell collection is also stored here, with the shells in helter-skelter, duplicates are in the same drawer but not next to each other and a high percentage have the case-print turned down so you can’t ID the shell. Very disappointing.

I was there early this month on the way up to the Brookings SD show.

The museum is much better but several years ago in the museum they had an open Remington RF box with the contents displaying a “H” headstamp.

No one is perfect, especially me, I’m just trying to give fair warning. That said, I’m sure they would welcome help & input.

Pete - thanks for the tips. These are all factors impossible to see in the pictures taken.
Too bad one of the Arizona guys can’t spend a little time with them and get the major
errors corrected. It appears that the collection and the display would be worth the effort.

The shotgun cartridges, in particular, should be easy to straighten out.

Just a thought. Wish I could do it, but not in the cards. Too old and too far away.

John