Cartridge display boards and lead oxidation

One of my hobbies is restoring cartridge display boards and building replicas/fantasy boards for clients. I have noticed that the lead tips/bullets of some cartridges are oxidising (is this the correct word?) faster than others. Has this to do with the composition of the lead itself or contact with the wood or something in the board/frame itself. What can I do to keep is from happening, or to slow down the process? I’ll post some photo’s of my boards. The first two show what I had to begin with and the end result.

2 Likes

Before & after pics of another restoration

3 Likes

Replica

1 Like

Some fantasy boards for client.

Nice piece of restoration work, you should be pleased with those two.

Very nice work - thanks for sharing.

Wow, very nice. I acquired an old display made of oak that had some severely oxidized lead bullets. Oak is especially bad since it contains some acid compounds that leach out. The worst display had a plexiglass cover that sealed the bullets in. I have been trying to remove the oxidation with sand paper, it works but definitely changes the surface finish of the bullet, which is not ideal. My recommendation for displays in wood is to not have a glass cover on it so that whatever outgasses from the wood is not trapped in the display. If you need/want a cover, build vents in the top and bottom to allow air flow. It looked like some of the lead bullets were covered with a lacquer which did slow down the oxidation, but again, that changes the surface finish of the ori

ginal bullet.

Some of it is partly due to the actual composition of the lead. In others words it may have somthing in it to allow it to decomplse more rapidaly or more than the one next to it from a different maker but stored in the same conditions. But I can’t say what element that might be.

FVN
Magnificent effort and result congratulation,I wish you further success for the future.
Sherryl