Cartridge for Thomas Wilson Enfield conversion

Anyone familiar with the cartridge for the Wilson conversion? Apparently some of the converted rifles were used during the US Civil War. I recently received an email from a South African who is researching for a book on Thomas Wilson, and is looking for information on the cartridge.

As is usual for me when I get an inquiry about a cartridge (no one seems to ask about the easy ones) - I hadn’t a clue. I checked my usual resources and stumbled across a listing in Vol VII, No 3 of Butweiller’s catalog for a Wilson/Terry .577 cartridge packet. Could this be the cartridge he is looking for?

I’m trying to get an idea of the prices for .22 rim fire short, long and long rifle cartridges over the decades since about 1900. What might one expect to have paid for a box of 50 around 1910, 1920, 1930 and so on? If I recall correctly, I believe I was paying around 90 cents for long rifles and 70 cents for shorts in the mid-1960s. I don’t recall that I ever bought longs.

Guy: In the 1950s a box of long rifles was usually something like 67 cents at the White’s Auto Store; shorts were, I guess, a dime or fifteen cents cheaper. Before the inflation brought on by WW.2 prices were pretty constant for most of the years back to 1900, or even before. A box of long rifles in the first four decades of the twentieth century was maybe twenty cents, and shorts a nickel less? In those years just about no one bought twenty-twos by the carton. At least this is how I remember it. Jack

Winchester Wildcat LR was available at our Pamida for 79 cents in the mid to late 70s.

I had a look at a couple of sources (not enough, but at least it reduces the size of the broad canvas I’m painting on) and noted that in the mid-1890s Montgomery Ward sold a hundred round box of long rifles for 30 cents. Just before the Second World War a 50 round box of long rifles listed in Stoeger’s for 38 cents. Fifteen years later the long rifles had risen to about 64 cents. So inflation pretty much doubled the cost in a half century ending about 1940 and doubled it again in another fifteen years, give or take. Shorts were pretty much 65 or 70 per cent of the price of long rifles. The odd ones (Winchester and Remington auto, 22 WRF were basically double the cost of the LR). My scientifically untested belief is that the common calibers of small arms ammunition are (in the U.S. and when available) cheaper than they were in the days of yore, inflation considered. Jack

Would it be possible for one of the administrators to straighten this thread out. Looks like I hijacked my own topic by posting a question about 22 rim fire prices as a reply to my question about the Thomas Wilson cartridge instead of as a new topic. Help!!

Guy, as a start, you may want to check Hoyem’s Vol. 1 p. 74.