Cartridge ID required

The attached cartridge case is nominally 9mm caliber, but I cannot identify it. It is possible that it is cut down from something. The head is reminiscent of the “G” Tesching cartridges but the case isn’t the right length. It is Berdan-primed but the roughness of the primer pocket bottom and anvil make me suspicious.

Case length 1.77" (44.96mm), rim diameter .45" (11.43mm), head diameter .393" (9.98mm), case mouth .383" (9.73mm), inside case mouth .355" (9.02mm). The headstamp is delightful though I have no idea what the “40” at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock means.

Any info on what it is and/or what the headstamp means would be appreciated.

Chris P
It could be a 9x50 R Jagd that has been cut down.

It looks like the head and rim are too big for the 9x50 cut down.

BTT

It looks like 9,3 x 45R Express ( .360 Short Express )

Chris, this is a total stab in the dark. Caxias do Sul is a town in Brazil, how about an indeginous cartridge for the region?
I’d make another guess beyond that, but it is purely speculation without foundation.

Thanks guys,
I will publish some info on this in IAA Journal 454 as well as a theory from Brad D. He also drew the connection to the town in Brazil!

[quote=“Chris P”]The attached cartridge case is nominally 9mm caliber, but I cannot identify it. It is possible that it is cut down from something. The head is reminiscent of the “G” Tesching cartridges but the case isn’t the right length. It is Berdan-primed but the roughness of the primer pocket bottom and anvil make me suspicious.

Case length 1.77" (44.96mm), rim diameter .45" (11.43mm), head diameter .393" (9.98mm), case mouth .383" (9.73mm), inside case mouth .355" (9.02mm). The headstamp is delightful though I have no idea what the “40” at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock means.

Any info on what it is and/or what the headstamp means would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Its a guess…
but CBC made “copies” from the 9,1x40R with the 6,45mm Berdanprimer for domestic use in Brazil. For very light Bird rifles…
In one of their (old) catalogues was a 9,1xxx LONG, from 45mm or even longer (can

Just to close the loop on this item - Thanks to Brad Dixon and Will Reuter we now have definitive info. “Vulcano” is a registered trademark of Ind

Are 40 Gauge shotguns only found in Brazil? Surely one would be better off making / buying / using a 36 Gauge (.410) as there cannot be much diffrence in the performance, and ammo can be purchased / found almost anywhere. There is probably a good answer to this, I have been proved wrong by the more knowledgable forum users alot before.

Lots of proprietary ammo has been made over the years with a desire to “corner” a market. Sometimes it works. The 120mms which fire out of our M1 tank are German proprietary case design for which we pay a royalty- SO IS THE GUN !