Cartridge ID

I dropped not one but two drawers of cartridges today. I’ve spent the day trying to get things back in order and my head is spinning. I don’t remember where I picked this up and I can’t figure out what it is. I’m guessing that it was reformed from something different, so I am leaving out the headstamp. Anyone know what this is?

Bullet: .302 at case mouth
Neck: .332
Base: .344
Rim: .344
case length: .825

hendere

By all means post the headstamp. It could be an imprtant clue. With a base of .344" there are not too many cartridges it could be and it could be made from only a very limited number of parent cases.

Bullet type - RN pistol type or Spitzer rifle type?

I admit that I haven’t a clue at this time except that it’s a .30 or .31 Something.

3o something. Isn’t that what we used to call baby boomers? Now we call them AARP members. :) :)

Ray

Bullet is RN pistol type. Headstamp looks like it was “FMMAP B 1947” but looks like the rim has been turned down so the tops of the letters are missing.

7,63 mm mannlicher rimless?

Hendere - the 7.63 Mannlicher IS a rimless cartridge. All of your measurements fit in nicely with the 7.63mm Mannlicher Model 1905 (DWM 466; GR 716, 7.65 Mannlicher Model 1901, etc.). The headstamp, which is Argentine, also fits quite nicely. I suspect it is just a sloppy headstamp job. I don’t know why the rim would be turned down, since it is at the correct measurement for the cartridge caliber that the headstamp would indicate.

In the U.S. anyway, the 1947-dated cartridge from the Borghi plant in Argentina is the most common 7.63m/m Mannlicher cartridge encountered. It was sold here, along with Model 1905 Mannlicher pistols, by the hundreds of thousands of rounds about 35 or so years ago, and still shows up in box-fulls occasionally.

I’m sure you know it, but in case someone doesn’t, the full name to fit the headstamp is F

Sorry John,I wanted to say 7,63 mm mannlicher straight to tell it from the bottleneck type.I don’t know why I wrote rimless

Is it like this?

Yep, that’s the one. I guess it is just a sloppy headstamp, mine looks much worse than that one. Thanks Guys!

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Hendere - the 7.63 Mannlicher IS a rimless cartridge. All of your measurements fit in nicely with the 7.63mm Mannlicher Model 1905 (DWM 466; GR 716, 7.65 Mannlicher Model 1901, etc.). The headstamp, which is Argentine, also fits quite nicely. I suspect it is just a sloppy headstamp job. I don’t know why the rim would be turned down, since it is at the correct measurement for the cartridge caliber that the headstamp would indicate.

In the U.S. anyway, the 1947-dated cartridge from the Borghi plant in Argentina is the most common 7.63m/m Mannlicher cartridge encountered. It was sold here, along with Model 1905 Mannlicher pistols, by the hundreds of thousands of rounds about 35 or so years ago, and still shows up in box-fulls occasionally.

I’m sure you know it, but in case someone doesn’t, the full name to fit the headstamp is F