Cartridge ID?

I have two cartridges I cannot identfy properly.

The first one has the headstamp SMc 5mm/35.
Case lenght = 39,32 mm
Rim dia = 11,87 mm
Place shoulder from bottom = 27,87 mm - 31,58 mm
I cannot find anything at all in my documentation about this caliber.
Any info about this cartridge ( caliber / use /headstamp) is welcome

The second cartridge has the headstamp I.14 19 14 HL
Cese lenght = 18,5 mm
dia rim = 13,68 mm
dia above rim = 12,72
dia on top of shoulder = 10,00 mm
Place shoulder from bottom = 12,35 mm -14,4 mm
I think HL = Hearens Laboratorium Copenhagen, Denmark
What is this cartridge named in caliber? any info obout this cartridge is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

The 5mm/35 is a Wildcat rd, the other one is a 9.6mm Rimmed Cattle Killer M89 Slagtepatron, I think a shortened 8mm x 58R M89 rifle cartridge.

Regarding the 5mm/35 SMc, we have Norma factory brass with the Smalley & McPherson headstamp (they designed the cartridge in 2004), factory ammo by Cor-Bon according to the March 2007 edition of “Guns Magazine,”, custom ammo from Superior Ammunition, and a factory rifle chambered for it, the Savage Model 12 Long-range precision varmint rifle. Hayden’s Shooting Supplies has Norma cases and custom reloading dies. Wildcat, or Proprietary Cartridge?

John

Another one of those wildcat to proprietary to factory cartridges.

Among us Benchrest shooters we call the SMc cartridges by the moniker Smack. Smalley & McPherson have been working on them for years. The only one I have seen actually used in competition is the 6mm Smack. Mic will probably skin me alive for saying this (he has to catch me first) but accuracy has not been more than average and any ballistic advantage over a conventional shaped case is debatable. The 6mm Smack is still a wildcat AFAIK.

The 6mm Smack on the left.

Ray

my bold

The line between wildcat and proprietary gets more and more blurred.

Thanks Armourer and John Moss for the quick answere.

Armourer
I have a 9,6 x 17R cattle killer witch has a straight case. Are you sure this bolltlenecked cartridge is a cattle killer??

Ray,
Is the Mcpherson you mentioned the co-editor of “cartridge of the world”?

The 5mm cartridge is about to be standardized by CIP. The iventor R.B.Smalley, Jr. holds some patents for the elliptical shoulder design. He is a friend of Mic McPherson. Search for smalley under google.com/patents and you will find them all. As there are the US patent numbers: 70886336 and 7210260, maybe some more.

[quote=“Pivi”]Ray,
Is the Mcpherson you mentioned the co-editor of “cartridge of the world”?[/quote]

Pivi

Yes. He WAS the editor. I think the 9th Edition was his last.

Ray

[quote=“r308”]Thanks Armourer and John Moss for the quick answere.

Armourer
I have a 9,6 x 17R cattle killer witch has a straight case. Are you sure this bolltlenecked cartridge is a cattle killer??[/quote]

I took my information from the ECRA data viewer:

9 x 18 R Danish Cavalry (Horse shooting)
9.6 mm Danish Cattle Killer
9.6 mm M.89 Slagtepatron
9.6 mm M.89 Slaughtering cartridge

Year 1911
Country Denmark
Weapon Military auxiliary devices or systems
Notes From shortened 8 x 58 R M.89 Danish rifle case.

Projectile Round nose, lead, canelures
Headst. V.I.25. 19 28 HL primer DA

Bullet

Armourer many thanks for the additional information.

Regards,

Richard