Cartridge Identification Help

Hello
Can someone help me please with the Identification, as what does 14,S,P,8 stand for?
From what i know so far P most likely means produced in Belgium and 14 in year 1914.
Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

A side on picture would help but I am going to assume that this is a 7.9x57 round. That assumption being correct, I believe the following is correct:

P = Polte (manufacturer)
S = Pointed “S” bullet
8 = August
14 = 1914

This isn’t my area of expertise and the Germans changed things around post WWI and during WWII. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Reference site:
http://www.municion.org/792/792x57_03.htm

1 Like

@Mayhem @Sam3 Thank you both, it sure helped me alot.

While the case is made of brass, as Mayhem wrote, the S identifies it as being a case for the pointed S bullet. Germany, like France and Russia, chose to give their new pointed bullet a little larger diameter (by 0.1 mm or .004") than the original round-nosed bullet (Geschoss 88 in Germany).

The gothic P on the bullet base identifies it as also made by Polte.

The cartridge was designed at Prussian state arsenals. Its popular association with Mauser is not correct. German military called the caliber 7.9 mm not 7.92 mm.

1 Like

Thanks for picking me up on the S. I knew I was going to get one of them wrong! I’ll edit my post to correct this, just in case someone doesn’t bother to read any further.

What year did they change to indicate the case composition on the HS?

The S was introduced to indicate the case had the new neck dimensions for the S bullet. Generally speaking, cases without an S (except factory mark S for Spandau of course) had the old dimensions for the round nose bullet 88.
Because not enough copper was available, in February 1915 it was ordered to reduce the copper contents of the brass from 72 to 67 percent. These cases have a 67 or S67 in the headstamp.
After WW1, about 1926, the S* was introduced to indicate return to brass with 72 percent copper.
As always in Germany, there are lots of exceptions, but this is the global picture.

3 Likes