Cartridge identification, please

caliber is 7.92 x 57 mm; brass case, nickel steel projectile, ball, head stamp is:
7.92 at 12:00, A at 3:00, 1955 at 6:00 and another A at 9:00. It has a green primer annulus, brass primer.
Thanks,
CDM

Argentine contract for Ecuador military, Fábrica Militar San Lorenzo

There’s a “Letter to the Editor” in issue 470 of the IAA Journal (at the printers now) from South America that indicates the rounds were found at Fray Luis Beltran, Argentina during a tour. They were told by staff at the arsenal that they were for Ecuador. The rounds were loose.

I know nothing of 7.92x57mm (a cartridge singularly lacking in character, not to mention a rim) but I repeat it for what it is worth.

Chris P.

This ammunition was brought into the United States in shooting quantities, and since the boxes are marked for Ecuador, there is no question of that identify. Fray Luis Beltran is the likely maker in Argentina. Even the fluted, nickeled dummies came in in the original boxes and in quantity. Only the wood bullet blanks did not show up, to my knowledge.

The only question now is what the headstamp “A A” signifies. It was originally thought to be “Armada Argentina” (an Argentine Navy contract, but that is, of course, now known to be false.) No one, including me, can seem to come up with a meaning for “A A” in relation to Ecuador.

[quote=“marzen9125”]caliber is 7.92 x 57 mm; brass case, nickel steel projectile, ball, head stamp is:
7.92 at 12:00, A at 3:00, 1955 at 6:00 and another A at 9:00. It has a green primer annulus, brass primer.
Thanks,
CDM[/quote]
Thank you very much for the input. I think I have enough to at least id the charger, since it was unmarked. It will at least put me in the ball park.
Thanks again,
C. Marzen