Cartridge Identification

Found an interesting round that I have never seen and is not in any of my reference books. I would post a photo but am not good with this other than an email attachment.

The round appears to be military as the tip is yellow with a red stripe behind the yellow and the primer is crimped in place. The case is belted and is straight tapered.

Dimensions are;

Bullet dia: .416
case Mouth dia: .436
Rim dia: .471
Belt dia: .488
Case lenght: 1.705
Overall length: 2.500
Base diameter immediately in front of the belt: .436

sp45,

Welcome to the Forum!

Click on this link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15213 and see if any of these looks like the item in question.

Here is Paul Smith’s picture from the above link:

Brian

Thank You, It looks like the 4th from the right with the same color combination as the 2nd and 3rd from the right. Do you know when they were produced and what they were fired in? I have one round in excellent unpolished condition, Is it worth anything?

sp45,

The basic story is these were part of a project started in the late 1950’s at Frankford Arsenal which called for the development of a spotting round to be used with a new shoulder-fired 90mm recoilless rifle. Various forms of the .405/10mm cartridge were developed and trialed into the mid 1960’s when an optical sight was developed for the recoilless rifle and the spotting round was no longer needed (information from History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol. III, 1946 - 1977; Hackley, Woodin & Scranton. Pages 363 - 368). Hopefully some others will chime in and provide more info.

Brian

Welcome sp45
Do you mean left, as in 4th from the left? but with colors like the 2nd & 3rd from the left?

If so, value is about $15-25 in my mind, 4th from left without tip colors is probably the most common variation.

edited once for a spelling correction.

A couple of pictures:

yes 4th from the left, thank you for all the information. I will give it to my friend who is starting a cartridge board