Cartridge of the Month- 3 new posted, need more!

Cartridge of the month had fallen behind schedule, but is now up to date. (No guarantee that January will show up in the next few days, however…)
http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmoindex.htm

We need some more submissions from various people.

I will be grateful for anything as long as it has one or more sectioned cartridges and some explanation of what it is and what makes it interesting.

Here is my personal “wish list” of what I think would be a bit different- who can provide some of these?

.22 rimfire types- maybe 19th century types (.22 Flobert, BB cap, CB cap, short, long, long rifle) and then maybe another submission of 20th century types (.22 WRF, .22 magnum, etc)?

Several of the .17 caliber rimfires?

One or more sectioned paper cartridges for muzzle loaders, or early external primed rounds (Sharps, Maynard, Smith, Gallagher, etc)? Prefer to run one at a time.

Needle gun cartridges?

A Hunt “rocket ball” or Volcanic round?

Flechette rounds such as single flechette small arms rounds, multi-flechette shotgun types, or big bore artillery beehive rounds? Each of these could be a stand-alone Cartridge of the Month.

Something on rifle grenades (other than 40mm M79 types)?

How about a bag type powder charge for artillery (maybe even use a good drawing from a manual if you don’t have an actual sectioned charge)?

Maybe some Civil War artillery fuzes- Borman, time fuzes, impact fuzes, etc? One or several at a time?

Comparison of sectioned “noise” blanks and “grenade launching” blanks in the same caliber?

A Spencer family portrait- .46, .56-56, .56-52, .56-50?

Daisy VL caseless cartridge?

Internal primer types (Martin, Benet, etc)?

Comparison of balloon head and solid head cases?

I bet a lot of this sort of stuff is just sitting around in various collections and no one else ever gets to enjoy seeing it. Come on, submit some stuff and share it!

January 1 already and no January Cartridge of the month yet…

PLEASE! Give me something to work with. If you don’t like my list of recommendations above, then send me whatever you think would be interesting.

A few photos and a few lines of text is all I need…

Thanks!

Hi,
I have been working:

I just have no idea of how to get the powder fixed.
Is mixing it with colorless glue a good idea?

Thanks
Martin

PS: I promise better pictures next time.

Nice cuttings beleg2. Been wanting to cut a pin fire myself for awhile, and nice to see one before I try. It was suggested to me by fellow forum members that clear Elmers School glue works well. Have been getting great results myself. Just mix small amounts at first. wolf

Hi Wolf.
Thanks for the advise.
I use a jeweler saw and cut first a “V” on the side so I can get the powder. I do not like blind cuts with a loaded cartridge.
Martin

John I will email you some pics.
Zac

May some of this pictures could be interesting:

Russian Silent round 7,62x63 PZA (Ball round and fired case)

Russian Silent round 7,62x63 PZAM (Ball round and fired case)

Polish 7,9x108 Maroszek

Thanks, we are getting some great photos here
Can you email me some text, similar to what we have for other cartridge of the month entries?

[quote=“JohnS”]Thanks, we are getting some great photos here
Can you email me some text, similar to what we have for other cartridge of the month entries?[/quote]

Of course:

All Specimens and photos courtesy of treshkin

The info about Russian PZA and PZAM cartridges is from the “Russian silenced ammo” by Yuri Bushin with my short additions:

In soviet times in Russia were developed a lot of interesting and unusual ammo designs which are very interesting to modern collectors. Like on West programs like ACR, SPIW and SALVO gave live to many interesting designs in multi ball, caseless and flechette designs in USSR were developed a lot of silenced cartridges.
There two major ways how to reduce or eliminate shot sound and flame. The most common ways is using subsonic bullets and special devices known as silencers. But they are actually only reduces shot noise. Another most effective ways is to capture propellant gases inside the case what allows almost completely eliminate shot sound. May be the most interesting, or at least having very unusual external view, Soviet cartridges of those range was so called PZ/PZA/PZAM (7,62x63 mm) specimens, developed in mid 60 in USSR for pistols S4 and S4M (modified). All cartridge were developed in theme “Zmeya” (Snake) and cartridge title translating as Patron Zmeya-A Modifitsirovanniy where “P” mean “cartridge, “Z” mean “Snake”, “A” mean (enhanced) and “M” mean “modified”.
Those cartridges having massive cases and using gas piston to push bullet and seal case. Another feature of those cartridges is primers located inside the case and only striking bolt on outside of the cartridge. There were some difference between PZA and PZAM. PZA had conical case and PZAM slightly boated case. PZA steel cases having light green oxidation on its surface and PZAM - green varnishing.
It’s unable to determine which cartridge was produced on which plant because of there is no any head stamps.

The info about Maroszek is commom:

Famous polish anti-tank rifle was placed in branch of weapons widely spread across the Europe.
Germans were equipped with PzB-39. English had at their disposal Boys M.37 13,97 mm from the mid-30’s.
The Swiss army was equipped with 20 mm rifle. Similiar rifles were in Japan, Finland, Chechoslovakia and USSR.

The idea of anti-tank rifle was born during World War 1, when the TuF mk.1919 was constructed in Germany.
However the work at construction of this kind of weapon was not stopped in Germany, what influenced the polish research.
In 1928 Mr Gerlich invented a ultra-fast bullet - Hagler 280 HV Magnum (“beginning speed” of over 1000 m/s). His research was described in 1931 in “Heerestechnik” magazine (no 4). Polish Col. dr Tadeusz Felsztyn familiarized with it. He was the one who started the tests with the Hagler ammo in 1931. Now we are not able to find the document describing the effect of these tests, but we can assume that it was a part of large-scale research, because another tests were performed in 1932 with the rifle constructed by Cpt. Kapkowski - it was highly confidental.

The tests with Hagler ammo gave the data for research on “high beggining speed” bullet. It was conducted by the Research Office of National Ammunition Factory i Skarzysko-Kamienna. It’s aim was to construct the 7,92 mm bullet with the “beginning speed” higher than Hagler ammo. At the beginning the bullet of “SC” type were used - rifle ammo with larger load of gunpowder. Tests were run with different types of nitro-cellulose gunpowder. Standard Mauser barrels were used. After the test with “progressive” gunpowder and new “DS” bullet, the speed of 1300 m/s was reached. The bullet had the lead core and steel cover ( weight - 12,85 g).
Then, Mr Jozef Maroszek (graduate from Mechanical Department of Warsaw Technical University) entered the research.
At the end of 1931 he was employed in Rifle Factory and constructed the KP-32 rifle. He started his work on the anti-tank rifle right after the graduation. Because his team faced some serious problems with the bullet, new type of bullet was ready after 2 years. It has a new type of casel (length - 107,67 mm) made of copper in 67 % and zinc in 23 %. The total length of the cartridge was 131,9 mm.

THANKS! I will work up a rough and send you a link to see if any changes are needed. This will be near the end of the month.

Interesting cartridges!

[quote=“JohnS”]THANKS! I will work up a rough and send you a link to see if any changes are needed. This will be near the end of the month.

Interesting cartridges![/quote]

Thank you! Let me know, if you need something else from my side