Cartridge of the Month

Me again.

It’s July 2nd.

Am I the only one that likes the cutaways?!?!? Maybe just the only one that complains. Or is anxious. Sorry about that.

I’m thinking we should have a Cartridge of the WEEK!

If Paul would show me how to do it RIGHT, I’d post 'em.

Rick

PLEASE HURRY UP AND SECTION SOMETHING FOR THIS FELLOW.

I think the section rounds are the best as well. I’m patient though :-) I hope it is a large caliber thing!

Easy there, Rick. Sit somewhere in the shade and drink lots of liquids.

Not a Full Monte sectioning but maybe these will get you through the afternoon.

Wire Patch Bullet and Herters Sonic Wasp Waist.

Ray

OOOHHHH! I like! Those are really nice Ray! I have no idea what those are but they are awesome. I like that coil projectile and the shape of the copper jacketed projectile. It looks like the gun powder has those tiny holes in them. I love that concept.

I don’t think there’s any danger of pre-empting Paul with this one, since everybody has one in their collection.

Last year a local guy had a 30-06 Hollifield Dotter that he was trying to sell. With the help of several Forum members I verified that it was a fake so he sold it to me for 5 bucks. I didn’t want to throw it away so I sectioned it.

Ray

WOW! You did that by yourself Ray? It is increadibly sectioned. You have extream skills!!!

Jason
PS: What is with the spring?

Whew! Thanks Ray. I’m OK now.

I’ve got to learn this sectioning stuff! Have done a .38 and a 9MM. Plain stuff. Don’t have anything fancy, per se. Not as pretty as what I’ve seen on this forum, but sectioned none-the-less.

Rick

Jason
These were used to propel a marking device (think long pencil) to “dot” a target that was just off the muzzle. They were used to train raw troops in sight picture and trigger control, before hitting the range (they could practice in the barricks)

The firing pin hit the internal rod, which in turn hit the rod. The spring made sure that the internal rod would always be in contact with the firing pin.

Thank you so much for explaining this type of round to me Tailgunner! as cool as it is and as amazing as Ray’s sectioning job was, I just did not understand its design, purpose or function. Very grateful.

Jason

Jason

The dotters were made in several different calibers (cartridges) including some pistol cartridges, I think. Some are quite rare and bring premium prices. I think the 30-06 are the most common.

I said that this one is a fake, but only partially so. Most 30-06 dotters are beat up, dinged, with most of the tin plating worn off. Someone took the innards from a real one and put them into a good condition case to make it look like a valuable specimen. The headstamp and condition gave it away. So, it’s only a partial fake, but a fake none-the-less.

Ray

Fake or not it is a great representation of what it is supposed to be and your sectioning job is spectacular. Now that I know what it is, it is super fascinating. Someone worked hard to fake it :-)

Neat.

Will you describe the calibers and markings ?

All the wire patched bullets that I have seen had much smaller diameter wire which appeared to be wrapped with thread. Is the one pictured legit?

I have never seen a bullet like that. Guy, are these kinds of projectiles or ammo reffered to as “Wire Patched”? Really neat design.

Jason

Jason,
I believe that is the correct name. Here are a couple like I was referring to with the thread-wrapped small diameter wire; the one on the left is .310’ and the one on the right is .385". I haven’t a clue what the purpose of rounded base on the larger one is.

There are several different forms of wire patched bullets. They were made in just about every caliber in use at the time.

The original idea behind them was that those new-fangled metal cased bullets of the early 1900s would wear out the soft steel barrels. Or so they said.

The one Guy shows consists of an undersize lead bullet wrapped with a special waxed, cotton covered copper wire (bell wire). It was machine wound. The base was either covered with a copper gas check, or left exposed.

The one I showed was made by making a coil of copper wire and inserting it in the mould just before casting the bullet. This prevented the wire from parting company with the bullet when fired.

Others may use silver wire or even steel wire with a tin coating.

The Herters Sonic Wasp Waist bullets date to the 1950s and 1960s. They were a marketing ploy of Herters. You have to know the history of Herters to fully appreciate them. The boat tailed version was called the Wasp-Waist Sonic Missle-Tail. Herters had a way with words. Unsurpassed, perfect, guaranteed, absolutely, finest, increased, authentic, were some of their more modest descriptives.

Both the regular Wasp Waist and the Missle Tail Wasp Waist bullets were terribly inaccurate. But that didn’t stop us starry eyed shooters from buying them. Many a shooter of my era grew up with a Herters catalog under their mattress. I still have 4 or 5 of them. Don’t tell my wife.

Ray

Thanks so much Guy and Ray! Extreamly appreate your help explaining these to me. They are really interesting. I’ve never seen anything like their design before.

Jason

May someone enlighten me about Wire Patch Bullet? Why, who, where and how. Actually, “why was it made” will do.

Vlad

In the late 1800s most bullets were made of soft lead, either lubricated or paper patched. When metal jacketed bullets were first introduced, it was a common belief that the hard jacket would quickly wear the soft steel barrels of those days. This was partially true but not to the extent that many shooters thought.

In addition, lead bullets could only be driven to modest velocities before they badly fouled the bore or stripped through the rifleing.

The introduction of small caliber, high velocity cartridges, such as the 30-06, only made lead bullets even more out-dated.

In 1899 the National Projectile Works patented and began to produce the wire patched bullets both to reduce bore wear and to permit higher velocities without stripping. They were still being used in one form or another all the way to WW II and the idea, like so many other schemes, such as frontal ignition, is resurrected every so often even today.

There may have been a legitimate use for them at one time although it was short lived as barrels and jacketed bullets were both improved and perfected in the early 1900s.

That’s the short version of the story.

Ray