Cartridge Rarity?

I need help to determine the rarity and value of this cartridge. Cal .30 M1906, National Conduit & Cable Co., 1918. If someone could tell me how many were made and how many were shot up, it would help. Otherwise, what else can you tell me?

Thanks

Ray

It can

These seem to be a bit harder to find than other WW1 vintage ammo.

I believe that Hackley Woodin & Scranton Vol 1 has produciton totals.

Sometimes these are encountered in two piece cardboard boxes of 20 with limited markings (perhaps lot number or date only).

Phil

I plugged .40/1989 into my inflation calculator and that cartridge is now worth 69 CENTS !

Ray

Interesting! Are the blanks and the ball rounds, about the same value?
Thanks!
sam

Is it just my old eyes, or is that ‘N’ in the headstamp crooked??

Incidently, Ray, I’ll be happy to give you $0.70 for it.

I’ll beat Gut’s Offer X 3 an pay half the postage, but only cause of the tales i could tell by living in N.C.

You guys are too generous. Now it looks like I started a bidding war. In the interest of world peace I’d better destroy it.

Guy, that “N” does seem to be crooked, depending on how you look at it. When I took the photo first time it looked really bad so I took another with the sun at a different angle. Probably just an optical illusion. Unless it’s the rare Crooked N headstamp variation. Chris didn’t cover that one in his book.

Ray

Ray, don’t think there are carloads of the N C rounds around. If you read Hatcher and Whelen they said the cases were so badly made they popped a few low number Springfields with case ruptures and the military recalled the stuff. Always the shooter that “liberates” a few rounds from any military match I shot in. My dad started 30 caliber shooting in 1925 and never saw any on the range but had heard the stories of the cases being bad.

Gourd