Cartridge type-20x138mm tool or chamber plug

I will first introduce myself

my name is Adje West from the Netherlands 37 years old and
i am searching from 1994 for ww2 relics
now i got a question

does anyone know what type of cartridge that is?

thanks Adje

Hello Adje, welcome, there is however no picture visible.

You must upload the photo to a host site, such as photobucket.com or flickr.com then paste the link into your forum post.

ok thanks i hope it works now

s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh4 … 8e92bd.jpg

Just copy the “IMG link” on the photobucket page and attach it in your post. The pictures will appear in your post

Looks to be some kind of 20x138b dummy round…

Or possibly a sub-caliber device.

This is a special Tool to adjust the headspace of the cannon. Verschlussabstands-Einstellpatrone…it is of course, not very common…
PP

Sorry gents, this is a German 20x138B Rheinmetall “Dichtungspatrone” of the navy for use in submarines. A chamber plug for guns installed on submarines. These were heavily greased and then inserted into the chamber of the gun and remained there as long as the weapon was not used and in particular when submerged. These “plugs” were supposed to prevent corrosion of the chamber and sowith a rough (corroded) surface of the same. Otherwise cases would not be extracted properly during firing or might even been torn apart while in the chamber. All that during an air attack on a emerged submarine whould result in a catastropy.

These “plugs” existed also in 30x211 MK303 and in 37x250R C/36.

…edited posting above for better understanding

So which answer is correct?

[quote=“Forensic”]This is a special Tool to adjust the headspace of the cannon. Verschlussabstands-Einstellpatrone…[/quote] The projectile nose looks like it has flutes for reaming/cutting, and the base has a slot to enable it to be turned with a suitable tool (armourers brace/large screwdriver?)

[quote=“EOD”]Sorry gents, this is a German 20x138B Rheinmetall “Dichtpatrone” of the navy for use in submarines. A chamber plug for guns installed on submarines.[/quote] The case neck and base just forward of the extractor groove look like they have some form of sealing ring that would seal the chamber.

My ID is correct, I have the navy manual describing the cartridge and it’s purpose. The two rings you recognized were of some sort of plastic or fabric. I think they were to aid keeping the grease between both of them (the critical chamber portion) while the gun was submerged or exposed to the elements.

This “Sealing cartridge” is extremely rare in good condition, as most rounds known looks like the one pictured above, or worst. The steel body was varnished and the belt and rotating band were made of leather. An specimen was reported marked with Heereswaffenamt WaA64 (Friedrich Maurer Söhne, Eisenwerk und Kesselschmiede, München-Freimann).

The pristine one I saw once was laquered navy grey.

The other two calibers I mentioned are even harder to find.

EOD, you are right, I meant to say varnished grey.

Fede, is the one you are showing something Argentina was using?

EOD, this one is not related to Argentina and was found in Norway.

Ah, ok, otherwise that would be a new research project now :)