Cartridges of unknown origin

The thread about the .30-40 Belted Rimless Krag got me thinking. Do any of you know of any other cartridges where examples have been found, but nothing about their origin is known? Also, in the thread, there was mention of the .32-70 and .46 WCF? What are these?

the 32-70 & the .46 WCF were Winchester experimentals. Winchester has a number of these that never hit the streets for one reason or another. Day Shuey wrote a most excellent book on Winchester (WRACo) headstamps. He’s listed in the IAA membership roster or look for him on the IAA forum links page.
We had a 32-70 in our last sale.
There was another .46 Winchester made for the 1867 toggle-link rifle, (the Henry was a Winchester Model 1866) the round is known as the .46 Oliver Winchester. Below a photo of the 2-piece case variation.

Hoyem bool about CF military ammunition also shown some experimentals found in Winchester or other american factories collections for military purposes, made reforming existing military cartridges.

Examples are two unkown 9 mm cartridges ( 9 x 55.5R and 9 x 63R) made from 11.15 mm Murata brass

I think George Murphy’s book on the US Ordnance Department display at the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition includes quite a few “experimental” cartridges, both rimfire and centerfire, that probably fit in this category. I believe there is another book on the same subject

Cheers,
Lew

Would someone please post a complete citation for the George Murphy book? That is a new one for me.

Murphy, George. 2006. Dr. Edward Maynard’s Cartridges. GIG Publishing. Atlanta, GA… 263p.

Murphy, George. Experimental Maynard Cartridges at the Smithsonian Institution.

Murphy, George. 2004. Philadelphia Exposition Ordnance Display - 1876. GIG Concepts. Atlanta, GA… 421p.

cartridgecollectors.org/?page=bi … ated-books

gigconceptsinc.com/OrigPubs.html

7.65x38 Swiss

There is also the 7.65x38 Swiss.

The story I was told is that these were found in Switzerland in railroad wagons. These wagons had been abandoned in sidings for a few years and simply forgotten.

Allegedly there was one wagon full of the bullets, and the other of primed cases.

If that is true, then someone must have ordered a significant quantity.

As far as I know it is still unknown as to what weapon these were made for.

Photos from municion.org website: