Casedamage

This short .22 case came out of a box of Winchester .22 short. It was probably fired in a single shot bolt action rifle, brandname Tosche + Co, proofed in Ulm, 1974, .22LR. The rifle, basic construction, seems in good working condition. Never seen this before. What could have damaged this case?

fullsizeoutput_5c7

Seen this from use with a missing case extractor. The force of the “explosion” blows the case into the void left by the missing extractor quadtrant. This leads to the failure in that area.

I’ll try to make a good picture of the chamber and of the extraction-system (very basic but difficult to explain.) Maybe that clarifies the cause.

Eightbore is right on the money. Missing extractor.

Could have also been a case that blew the extractor out? :)

Here are two pictures of the suspected chamber. Maybe it has to do with too much tolerance of the half moon part that serves as extractor? Or was it just a weak case?

It look like the extractor was not in the right position when the bolt hit the primer.
It seams that it was located behind the cartridge. Is that possible?

The “half-moon” extractor (at least in my Voere rimfire inherited from my father) is a separate part. You can assemble and fire the rifle without the extractor in place. I suspect this is what happended.

Yeah, I go along with the case being fired with the extractor missing, it would have to be a very, very bad fitting extractor to give that level of damage to the case.
I can do the same with my Anschutz as JPeelen says and assemble it without the extractor in situe under the bolt.
I cannot see it being with the bolt located behind the extractor as the bolt would not reach the breech face and could not be rotated and engaged with the sears.

Voere, Anschütz, Tosche…all of the same kind. And with this rifle too: the “half-moon” extractor is very easy to remove. The rifle must have been fired without it. There’s no other way to close the bolt as Eightbore states. Thank you, gentlemen, as usual.

Pardon me for asking, but I am confused:
Is the picture of the rifle the one in question?
I ask because the extractor is certainly in place in the second photo.
Thanks.

The assumption is that the extractor was not in place when the cartridge in question was fired. The extractor is a separate part. Its normally removed when cleaning the barrel to prevent it from falling out of the receiver. An operator may forget it when re-assembling the rifle.

Yes, that’s what happened.The damaged case matches also with the thickness of the extractor. The gun was fired without extractor, accidently and that caused the strange damage to the case.