Cases

Bullets are not my thing but I came across quite a lot in some cartridges I picked up. To me these are some of the odd ones that I am not familiar with so any info would be greats, thanks in advance.

I have done a head stamp picture and a side view HS and SV. I rushed the pictures a bit so some are not the best sorry.

The first one I have not seen before;

HS

SV
What sort of 5 in 1 is it?

Next are two aluminium cases (I am not used to aluminium cases) so are these things standard?
44 MAG

HS

SV

38 SPL

HS

Winchester

HS

Kynoch, I am assuming that this is a starter pistol blank as it has a crimped closure.

HS

Now the next one I like, it intrigues me, I am assuming it is a Westley Richards Carbine?

HS

SV

303 Blank but what is HXP that is not an ROF site I am familiar with.

Also quite a few wooden tipped 303 blanks from RG = Radway Green which I guess everybody will know so I didn’t do any photos.

Thanks,
Mike.

#1 = 5 in 1 blank means it can be used in 5 different chambers. 45 Colt, 44-40 revolver & rifle, 38-40 revolver & rifle.

#2 = CCI aluminum non-reloadable (NR) 44 Magnum and 38 Special cartridges.

#3 = Winchester Repeating Arms Co. 45-70. Looks like a handload.

#4 & #5 = somebody else can answer

#6 = HXP means Greek

RayMeteka,

Thank you, that answers some of my questions.

Regards,
Mike.

Greek is correct for “HXP.” It is a product of the Greek Powder and Cartridge Co. A lot of rounds with that headstamp, depending on caliber, were off-shore contracts for the U.S. Military. That is true in .45 Auto, for example.

The Kynoch .320 is a blank. These were commonly used in blank fire only pistols made for starting athletic events. The case diameter is slighlty smaller than an actual .320 CF cartridge. This was to prevent people attempting to use live ammunition in starting pistols.

These pistols have a sqaure section magazine which is inserted through the front of the “slide”. The gases from firing are vented through a hole in the top of the pistol. This means that it is virtually impossible to modify them to fire live rounds.

Here is a photo of the Webley Starting pistol:

and a similar magazine on a smaller starting pistol:

Some of the Kynoch .320 blanks were also used as primers for 1.5" punt gun shells, although those have the copper primer staked into the primer pocket of the brass shell.

The aluminum cased 44 & 38 are from a relatively complete line of CCI products (including some uncommon types like the Tarus revolver, the .30 W.C.F and the .380 MK II British revolver or in CCI retirement rounds) with the N R standing for non-reloadable (as Rey notes) as the early loads used a Berdan primer while some the later used a Boxer primer of a special size. It was a lower cost line of ammunition and was / is very popular. Military contracts in 9mm Para. and 5.56x45 were done, plus shot loads for snakes (or rats) in several case types. Some of the early rounds were anodized in some very pretty colors.

Yes the No 1 Carbine & by Westley’s. However it was originally a necked case, so why the neck is so blown out ? and the base has a large budge also indicating not a proper chamber.

Thanks for that, as I said to Jim, just amazed I had not come across the Aluminium cases before. As you know I have done some punt gunning and still have a lot of cases and primers etc. left from those long gone days although I have given away most of the cases these days. In all the one’s I have left I have not seen that style of head pressing or stamping, but I guess there were loads of different styles. Most had Eley .320 blanks as primers but some had Kynoch, I have stuck a few pictures on of heads so you can see what I mean.
A picture of the side view of the Westley Richards would be great if anybody has one please, Jim sent me through a picture of the box, thanks Jim.

As I was typing this I have just spotted/realised that all the 9 3/4" cases I have are Eley primed and all the 8 1/4" are Kynoch primed, I wonder if that has any relevance? I will see if I can lay my hands on a box of the primers.

Thanks,
Mike.