Catridge .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer (2006/12/24)

[b]Originally posted by [i][color=blue]V

Vit

I have an Eargesplitten Loudenboomer in my collection. It is made from a 378 Weatherby case necked to 22 caliber and blown out to minimum body taper. It was conceived back in the 1960s or 1970s in an effort to set a world record velocity for 22 caliber bullets. The late, great, P.O. Ackley made the rifle and ammo for Bob Hutton, then of GUNS & AMMO Magazine. I’m not sure exactly what velocities Hutton achieved but they were in the neighborhood of 5000 plus fps with a 50 grain bullet.

I have a photo but I just got back home after being gone for a week so I haven’t tried to post photos on the new forum as yet. I’ll do it as soon as I figure everything out.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Vit

I answered your question but I forgot to sign my name. Even worse, I forgot to log on so it showed me as a guest, therefore I don’t think I can edit my post to include the photo.

(moderator edit to combine threads)

Ray[/quote]

Inasmuch as accuracy was not one of the goals I doubt if anyone was particularly concerned with barrel life. But, I would think that it was more than 10 rounds. Maybe 11 or 12? :) :)

Gale McMillan had a similar problem when developing the 50 FAT MAC. The barrel would foul so badly, sometimes in as little as 5 rounds, that he abandonded the project in frustration. Gale was not one to suffer such things. If it didn’t work, throw it away.

Ray