CBC 9mm “L30”

Can anyone tell me what “L30” means?

1 Like

Wish I could, but I don’t really know. Could be a new way of expressing a lot number., although I think the Portuguese word for “Lot” is “Sorte,” although don’t know if that applies to that use. We all know that many languages have the same word, but with several different meanings depending on context.

I assume “11” represents 2011. If so, this shows the problem with collecting a massively-produced caliber like 9 mm Parabellum these days, as this cartridge is nine years old and while pretty intense in studying and looking out for 9 mm cartridges for my collection, I have never seen or even heard of the headstamp usage before.

Wish they would show up here, even in unprimed empty cases.

John Moss

Brazil exports a lot of military stuff. Could it be “lot 30” meant for some English speaking customer?

Lot, in Portuguese, is “lote”.

Thank you for your attention. I have some 9mm cartridges manufactured by CBC. Maybe 30 different ones. I will organize, photograph and share it with you.

1 Like

Paulo - thank you for the correction. My Portuguese dictionary said “Sorte” but as I mentioned, I was well aware that in translation to other languages, there can be many meanings for a single word, and most home-type language dictionaries only show the most-used meanings.

Vlad - Yes, it could be a contract for other countries - Brazil is a major exporter of ammunition not just commercially, but to police agencies all around the glob - even though we know now that the “L” could be “lote” in Portuguese.

2 Likes

They use this headstamp format for police contracts, mostly European.

2 Likes

JohnMoss, my intention was not to correct, it was to inform. thank you for the informations.

Paulo - Your information was a correction to my error. Just semantics. No problem. One of the better features of this forum is that when you make an error, there are people who have the right answer, and let you know. That is a good thing, and no offense should ever be taken to it. I sincerely thank you for the information.

Your excellent picture of the CBC “L30” headstamp got me to thinking, and I went and looked at the Brazilian Part of my 9 x 19 mm collection. Enclosed is a photo of the dated ones with CBC headstamp. I am sorry they are not all oriented the same way. Between my 80-year old trembling fingers, and not being able to see in advance their attitude on the plate of my scanner, it is near impossible for me to line them up. However, I think the headstamps are clear. I found my own statement that I had not seen the “L30” headstamp before to be in error as well, because I was fixated on the letter/number combination. As you can see below, it turns out I actually have that style, as well as a similar one with NATO mark, but simply a different date and a different number after the “L.”

I don’t collect different dates of the same headstamp lettering size, shape, type, but I do keep any small differences other than that. The difference in the first two on the left is that the 76-date has a dark green primer seal while the 78 date has no visible primer seal, and is such good condition it is obvious it never had one.

Edited to add the above paragraph, for clarification.

Thank you for, Paulo, for prompting me to look at my CBC 9 mms again. It was fun.:-)

John

1 Like

John,

Thanks for sharing a little bit of your collection. I still can’t say that I’m a collector. I’m just accumulating cartridges. I don’t have a methodology yet. In return for your kindness, I will send a photo with some CBC 9x19 “ball” from my “collection”.

Paulo

Paulo,

Muy intersante! Aside from dates I have not seen, but don’t collect (they are still good to know), the "9 mm TREINA headstamp is excellent!!! Does the word “Treina” have anything to do with “Training,” in English? It seems to be the root word for “Treinador” and “Treinamento,” and the verb “Treinar”. I have also never seen or heard of the CBC NTA headstamp. What does “NTA” stand for, in English and in Portuguese?

Wonderful stuff. Parabéns!

John Moss

John,

I’m glad to hear that I brought news. The word “treino” means training. NTA stands for “non toxic ammunition”.

Do you know what the letters “CR” (stamped on the primer) mean?

Paulo

Paulo,

thank you for that information. I should have known the “NTA” but I guess I was thing in terms that they were initials for Portuguese Words, not English. Since we get CBC ammunition here occasionally, I am surprised I haven’t encountered any.

I don’t know the exact meaning of the “CR” on those primers, but since the ammunition is Non-toxic, they likely relate to the primer being non-toxic as well. Interesting to see it in two different forms. Other markings seen here are on primer from other makers are “LF” for “Lead Free” and “RH” for “Reduced Hazard.” I’m sure someone will know the meaning of “CR”, Fede if no one else.

John Moss
R

John,

CR = Clean Range

Paulo

Paulo - thank you. I actually was going to answer my own question, after looking in my collection of Brazilian 9 mm boxes. Below are two different size “Clean Range” boxes.They are both for 50 rounds, but have different inserts accounting for the two sizes.

The top box contain round headstamped “9mm LUGER CBC” with “CR” primer, the two letters on an upward slant. The second Box contains the “9mm 13 L63 CBC” headstamp with “CR” primer in the same arrangement on the primer cup as that of the first box.

John

“Treina” ammunition (short for Treinamento) was made for police, military and security personnel training. It is loaded with a 124 gr lead bullet. Also made in .357 Mag, .38 Spl, .380 Auto, .40 S&W and .45 Auto.

The “NTA” (Non Toxic Ammunition) was made for police training in indoor shooting ranges. It is loaded with a total metal jacket 124 gr bullet (enclosed base) and CR (“Clean Range”) primers (lead and barium free). Also made in .38 Spl, .380 Auto and .40 S&W.

Regards,

Fede

Great headstamp selection, thanks for sharing. Do you have any dated MRP headstamps?

John, please, can you post a picture of the lot numbers of those boxes?

Fede - here are the pictures of the end labels of the two boxes that have a bar code on it, with numbers underneath. There is nothing else on either of these boxes that could be called a lot number or date code, and I suppose those are simply not needed now with bar codes.

Now that l look at them closer, I see that on the opposite end label, where the caliber and
bullet weight are, there is other information. The larger box says:

9mm LUGER
8.03g (124 gr.) FEB (CR9B)
BRO514 L-114

The smaller box repeats the top two lines of the larger one exactly, but with the bottom line:

BT0812 L-63

I noted the headstamps of the rounds for each box in my first entry on these boxes.

Hope this helps.

Both boxes are printed originally on the side label of the box, not added later, as being "imported in the USA by Magtech Ammunition Company Inc.

Thanks a lot John, very useful information. The large box dates from 2014 and the smaller box from 2016.

Saludos,

Fede

Fede,

Only this 38 SPL

Paulo