CCC head stamp

I have a 50/70 Govt with a head stamp of CCC 50/70. I see there are two possible manufactures of the CCC h/s. Anyone know which one this would be? And if its old or new?

Steve

Steve–It is Connecticut Cartridge Company. It dates from the late 1960’s to the mid-1970’s.

Thanks Ron!

Sorry, I don

There are several “CCC” headstamps. But I believe that the one Steve asked about is Connecticut Cartridge Co. They are fairly common. They, and the Dixie Gun Works case, were used to make 50-70 cartridges in the old days.

Ray

[quote=“E_MIL_IO”]Sorry, I don

E_MIL_IO–Yes, Creedmore Cartridge Company is the other company that used CCC as a headstamp. To my knowledge they only made Black Powder revolver rounds in centerfire and .22 Short and .32 Short in Rimfire from 1890 to 1892. Connecticut Cartridge Company made a whole line of about 50 different, mostly Black Powder era, Rifle cartridges in the 1960-1970 era. You could buy either unprimed empty cases or loaded ammo. This .50-70 was a Connecticut Cartridge Company product.

Thanks very much to all for your responses.
Best

There is one more U.S. ammunition brand using the initials CCC, although on cartridge headstamps it is normally “C.C.Co.”, and that was the Sears, Roebuck and Co., Chicago, brand of “Clinton Cartridge Company.” I don’t think the Clinton Cartridge Company ever made anything, although I could be wrong. It was simply a proprietary brand name for Sears Ammunition. I don’t know the timing on it.

There was one other use of the CCC Headstamp standing for Connecticut Cartridge Company, although not made by them and made outside of the time frame of their previous production of obsolete-caliber ammunition. It was Chinese (Taiwanese) .45 ACP ammunition made in 1982, and headstamped “CCC 45ACP82.” Boxes show the importer as the Connecticut Cartridge Company, 246 Old Post Road, Southport, Ct., but to my knowledge, it was mostly, and perhaps only imported by Pacific International Merchandising Corporation (Pacific International Import/Export Company), of Sacramento, California. That is where we purchased it. It was wretched ammunition. Although the box stated it was manufactured to U.S. Military Specification MIL-C-131 1E, and was non-mercuric and non-corrosive, we found quickly that was not true, through many ruined barrels on our customers (and an employee’s) pistols, all of which we supplied new barrels for. We returned all the ammunition, after having the rounds tested by a friend at the U.S. Customs Lab at San Francisco. The primers were not only corrosive, but they were also mercuric.

I have no explanation for the use of the CCC headstamp, and company name on the box, unless they were the intended buyer and somehow the contract failed and was sold to Pacific. Just conjecture. I have no positive information on that score.

Just thought I would add these other uses of the basic “CCC” appellation to this thread.

The IAA headstamp guide also shows Canyon Cartridge Company. Never heard of them.

Ray

Ray - Canyon Cartridge Company was formed in 1992 by Mr. Phil Novick, at Albertson, New York. They made 9mm Para and 9 x 21m/m cases. Some have the CCC headstamp. In one case, with a 9mm Para, the headstamp is simply the date “92” at the 12 O’Clock position and the caliber “9mm” at the 6 O’Clock position. They made brass with their own headstamp for small lot sales. If one purchased enough, they could get their own headstamp, and they made brass for CP Bullets (Competition Proven Bullets) with “CP” headstamp, “ABT” for American Ballistics, “SNC” for Simunitions in Canada, “M&D” for M&D Munitions Co. The parent company in Albertson was NTI Inc.

It does not appear that they loaded ammunition, but rather simply made the brass.

I don’t think they are still in business, although I am not sure of that.

Assistance from George Kass