Changes in British postal regulations

Here is a page from the UK Post Office website. I draw you attention to the box at the bottom of the page Weapons and Ammunition.

“inert items will not be permitted” to paraphrase They seem to be referring to grenades and artillery shells but it will lead to “mission creep” mark my words. Whats a “shell” in common parlance? Its the first time that I am aware of inert items ever being mentioned in any official context

royalmail.com/despatch-inwar … cted-goods

I don’t know anymore than you can read on the page. The big concern on my part is the undefined use of the word components elsewhere in the report. Since only face to face purchase of live ammunition is allowed this has had a bad effect on owners of the less than common calibres. UK is not a big country but there are still some pretty remote areas and gun shops few and far between.

Does components mean scopes? plastic mags? bipods? Many of our existing retailers are just about hanging on by their fingernails selling aftermarket triggers and the like by mail order

Hello Vince, same thing happens now in Germany…
We got a lot of parcel back, as they contained only Mags, Loadings-Clips!! and in one case really factory Dummy-Cartridges of 7,62x39. The enclosed letters say, the postal service is not able, to differentiate this from “real” stuff, and the gun-parts -even as itself are not guns, will be not permitted, as by EU common market rules, the postal service has to take responsibility for goods flown in aircrafts and therefore has to control the parcels. But this happens also by parcels shipped surface and not only by airmail-services…means, we have now normally no way, to get the goods to the customers…except by special delivery trough private carriers…for an exorbitant sum of costs…A parcel for example up to 3kg to Lithuania with some mags had costs of 17,-€ up to yet; with a special carrier it costs now to that country “only” 59,-€…means, nobody is buying anymore, as the cost for freight are higher as the goods value…
That comes close to the old tactics, if you cannot forbid it, tax it…this is the same thing…Welcome in the PR Europe…

Forensic

edited for spelling

I certainly hear you about the shipping concerns in Germany. I have been waiting now for over 9 months for a collector to send me some projectiles and empty cases, and he has been waiting to receive his “export permit” this whole time. It is apparently a very painstaking process to get the proper paperwork to ship anything ammunition-related out of Germany. To ship something into Germany though, I needed nothing and just sent straight to him (empty cases), so I was told.

I would guess that the original intent of restricting “inerted items” in the UK post was geared towards grenades and other large ordnance? No doubt it will cause confusion and possible enforcement against innocent .303 case collectors! Next step will be the department of transportation banning vehicular transport of “inerted items” and then watch the shells dry up from all the flea markets… (hopefully not).

Forensics,

a package from germany to Italy ( to me) was stopped by German customs because the sender wrote “munition” on the box. They said that stuff was proibhited since no live ammo could be sent by normal mail. Once the sender explained that the stuff was inert ( there were a couple of dummy rounds and several cases) the package was re-sealed and sent to me without any trouble. This happened 4 months ago

Maybe this law is more severe for ammo / gun dealers that sell their stuff all around but I had no trouble receiving or sending inert stuff , like cases and bullets through Europe. Sometimes German customs open the package and ask about the value of the stuff ( to decide if apply fees ) but they never stopped any package for their content.

Anyway, I have never send magazines or other gun parts ( according to EU laws magazines are gun parts but not MAINLY gun parts, it means that you don’t have to get a license to buy them)

We in Australia have had this ruling on international mail now for a couple of years. It has practically destroyed the importation of collectables along with the draconian deactivation requirements. What a joke when Europe is awash with inert & live wartime leftovers that can be accumulated (inert) by collectors.

This whole scene leaves the opportunity for some-one to create a business of import-export of inert ordnance (please don’t charge the earth if you do).

Good luck,

Regards Ozzi.