Charger of .55 inch Boys Anti-Tank cartridges

Here is the common charger for the Boys AT rifle. An all steel version also exists. This one is marked C.H.P. I 1941 (Charles H Pugh - mark 1).

gravelbelly

Would this be the largest charger ever issued? Was all .55 Boys ammunition packaged on chargers, or were the chargers an accessory to the rifle?

AKMS

Not the biggest, the 14,5 PTRS clip (Russian) was bigger, but it was a Packet clip, not a stripper. And Breda had stripper Feed trays for 12,7, 13,2, and 20mm.

The Strippers for Boys were simple case holders, as the magazine was loaded with individual rounds, and was “top mounted” on the Receiver…so no "clip guides, either on or off the gun.
Note that there are no “locating Lugs” on the sides of the clip, either…a sure sign that they are for “Holding” use only.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Not really a “stripper” clip, but looks like one, is the loading clip used on 40mm Bofors. These are about 2 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long.

Nice! I came across an original bandolier, with 2 Boys stripper clips and the complete 10 rounds of ammo at a gunshow in NC…FOR $25!!!

Needless to say I grabbed it, along with a bunch of other real nice collector ammo from the same guy, including an original, complete box of .30 Pederson ammo for $10…I was a happy guy that day. I still have the Boys ammo, but sold off the Pederson box…

Sometimes you get lucky…

[quote=“pzjgr”]Nice! I came across an original bandolier, with 2 Boys stripper clips and the complete 10 rounds of ammo at a gunshow in NC…FOR $25!!!

Needless to say I grabbed it, along with a bunch of other real nice collector ammo from the same guy, including an original, complete box of .30 Pederson ammo for $10…I was a happy guy that day. I still have the Boys ammo, but sold off the Pederson box…

Sometimes you get lucky…[/quote]

pxjgr,

The bandolier for the Boys has a dual button system. One button is used when the contents are two full chargers of ten rounds and the other button fits when a full Boys magazine is in the pouch. This info was from an earlier post or maybe the ECRA, I don’t remember which.

gravelbelly

[quote=“AKMS”]Would this be the largest charger ever issued? Was all .55 Boys ammunition packaged on chargers, or were the chargers an accessory to the rifle?

AKMS[/quote]

AKMS,

As far as I know, all Boys ammo came from the factory in these chargers. The chargers were not issued as part of the rifle kit. However they are easy to pick up and re-use if some ammo did come in cartons.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”][quote=“pzjgr”]Nice! I came across an original bandolier, with 2 Boys stripper clips and the complete 10 rounds of ammo at a gunshow in NC…FOR $25!!!

Sometimes you get lucky…[/quote]

pxjgr,

The bandolier for the Boys has a dual button system. One button is used when the contents are two full chargers of ten rounds and the other button fits when a full Boys magazine is in the pouch. This info was from an earlier post or maybe the ECRA, I don’t remember which.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I always did wonder why the two buttons…IIRC everything in mine, bandolier included was dated 1939 or 40…I’ll have to pull it out and check…maybe I’ll take some pics, and post them here…

An interesting question was asked about whether the Boys was the largest charger ever. Of course, not all chargers are stripper clips. I know that the 40mm Bofors gun ammunition was clipped together on a charger. How would that be in the standing for largest “chargers?” Did that clip drop out of the bottom of the gun when it was empty, or I should ask first if it was one piece or in sections that dropped out of the gun. I seem to recall from photos of those guns being loaded as they were being fired that the whole block of a number of rounds went into the feeding port on the top of the gun. However, I never noticed where the charger went after the last shot in any given charger was feed and fired.

What actually was the largest charger, be it of the “en block” type or a stripper clip?

14.5 PTRS clip maybe…

I have 2 .55 boys clips

marked: MS I 1939
marked:C.H.P I 1943

[quote=“JohnMoss”]
What actually was the largest charger, be it of the “en block” type or a stripper clip?[/quote]

The soviet 57mm S-60 antiarcraft gun also uses a four round clip

I did a little research on the four round clips used with the 40mm Bofors ammunition. When the clip was dropped into the feedway, the cartridges were stripped out of it and it fell through the bottom of the gun and landed on the deck. This was all done before the gun even fired, so the clip was not required for the gun to function. The feedway accomodated 8 rounds (two four round clips) but ten round could be loaded if two loose rounds were placed between the two clips. This further reinforces the fact the the clips were not required for the gun to function. Contemporary photos of the 40mm guns in action clearly show the empty cases piled in front of the gun mount and the empty clips piled underneath the gun. I know these clips were re-used. Several of the US Navy warships / museums I have been aboard had spaces clearly marked as “40mm Clipping Room”.

I see a problem with the use of “clip” and “charger” being used interchangeably or the definitions being blurred. Can we get a consensus of what the proper definitions of these and similar devices should be?

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I did a little research on the four round clips used with the 40mm Bofors ammunition. When the clip was dropped into the feedway, the cartridges were stripped out of it and it fell through the bottom of the gun and landed on the deck. This was all done before the gun even fired, so the clip was not required for the gun to function. The feedway accomodated 8 rounds (two four round clips) but ten round could be loaded if two loose rounds were placed between the two clips. This further reinforces the fact the the clips were not required for the gun to function. Contemporary photos of the 40mm guns in action clearly show the empty cases piled in front of the gun mount and the empty clips piled underneath the gun. I know these clips were re-used. Several of the US Navy warships / museums I have been aboard had spaces clearly marked as “40mm Clipping Room”.

I see a problem with the use of “clip” and “charger” being used interchangeably or the definitions being blurred. Can we get a consensus of what the proper definitions of these and similar devices should be?

AKMS[/quote]

AKMS,

Enlarging a little on what you said above on the operation of the Bofors gun clips. The loader holds the clip of four rounds with one hand around the clip and bases of the top two rounds and the other hand around the noses of the top two projectiles. The clip must be towards him so that it is the correct way around for either a right or left gun. He pushes the lower two rounds into the auto-loader, transfers his hands to the top of the upper cartridge and then pushes down so that all four rounds go down fully. The rounds are secured in the clip by a spring-loaded latch on the clip going into the groove in the cartridge base. As the rounds move down the auto-loader an inclined surface (ramp) pushes the latch buttons rearwards to release each round in turn. Further down the auto-loader the clip is guided outwards to fall through a chute in the side of the gun body. The latches and release buttons are visible in this image:

Clips versus chargers,

I’m afraid that the loose use of the name “clip” is deeply engrained into the English language, particularly in the USA. A recent post called a magazine a clip and it is also sometimes used for disintegrating links for MG belts.

gravelbelly