Chicom 7.62x39?

The left most cartridge in the .0 post in the following thread

m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=697764

shows what appears to be a Chicom 7.62x39 round but the factory code is 21
which does not correlate to a Chinese factory. However, the round in all
other ways, color, primer color, apparent lack of primer sealant, placement
on the bottom of the factory code (closer to primer), all look exactly the
same as a known Chicom 7.62x39 round I have here in front of me (not only
sold as “Norinco”, but the spam cans it came in have Chinese lettering).
Could this be a new Chinese code? My known round is factory code 31 and
date code 65

I am not the .0 poster in the above referenced thread so am not linking in the pictures directly. Sorry. I did post in this thread under the name eguns-com

Chad

Chad - there is great similarity in the physical characteristics of many 7.62 x 39 rounds from different countries. Personally, if the headstamp is “21” and the date oriented as mentioned, this round should be Hungarian, as mentioned on the other “linked” Forum, and made by Bakony Müvek at Vezsprém, Hungary.

A major field of my own is the 9 x 18 mm Makarov cartridge, and the earlier 1965 and early 1966 Makarov rounds from the factory at Vezsprém show the same characteristics - that is, copper-washed steel case, brass primer cup, GMCS FMJ bullet and no visible primer or case mouth seals.
Later, from about late 1966 to 1973, the had a purple case mouth and primer seal. It was later changed to red, and the cases were gray-lacquered steel in the Makarov caliber. I would not be surprised if the 7.62 x 39 mm rounds followed about the same patterns and time-frames, although I do not know, since I do not collect them.

John Moss

Yes, that “21 60” is a Hungarian round. The 04 and 05 are both East German, by the way.