Chinese .22 l.r

Is there any info on Chinese made .22 l.r.?
I am looking for images of boxes and head stamps. Any info will be much appreciated.

These 22 cases came from one of the Chinese models made with cartridge cases. The D is on what appears to be an unfinished case.

NATO Dave

Dave, thanks!
What is it about the “D” on a draw piece or what is it?
And how comes there is a mark already on a draw piece with a not finished head section?
First time I see a “D” on Chinese .22 (not that I know much about).

[quote=“EOD”]Dave, thanks!
What is it about the “D” on a draw piece or what is it?
And how comes there is a mark already on a draw piece with a not finished head section?
First time I see a “D” on Chinese .22 (not that I know much about).[/quote]

I too wonder about that D on an unfinished draw piece with, what looks like a curved base, it would be difficult to produce a bunter to do that wouldn’t it? One other possibility is that it has been drawn through those dies which turn empty .22" RF cases into bullet jackets for handloaders. Such bullets retain the original headstamp on the base and, if previously fired as .22" RF, a striker mark.

gravelbelly

[quote=“EOD”]Is there any info on Chinese made .22 l.r.?
I am looking for images of boxes and head stamps. Any info will be much appreciated.[/quote]

Here’s a few boxes made in China. The first two are from the North China Corp.

Roger, great images! Thanks a lot!

Dave, I just got an info that the “D” is likely DESA from USA. They make/made tool proppelling cartridges. Any info on that?

The two rings logo is interesting as it is the old Chongqing arsenal logo (now 791)

The triangle logo is also used on Norinco 45ACP

From the new 3 gorges dam museum in Chongqing in their arsenal display:

CanAm, that is interesting!
If I am right the 2 circles were usually associated with Norinco.
What leads me to the question if Norinco is making any ammunition itself or if it is only the head trade organization marketing the ammunition made by all the different makers within China?
Anybody with insight to this?
Would you also have a full company name of “Chongqing”?

[quote=“EOD”]CanAm, that is interesting!
If I am right the 2 circles were usually associated with Norinco.
What leads me to the question if Norinco is making any ammunition itself or if it is only the head trade organization marketing the ammunition made by all the different makers within China?
Anybody with insight to this?
Would you also have a full company name of “Chongqing”?[/quote] Norinco is really just an export agency in the traditional combloc system of state run enterprises, although they do have ownership of some plants (1911 pistol factory as an example)

I am not sure if I have the factory name handy. I did have their brochure at one time. They are the head plant for ammo in China, and most other factories are trained, etc by them

Plant 791, often using the headstamp code of “71” following the practive of the PRC to drop one number at times, is currently known as the Zhang Jiang Electric Engineering, in Sichung, Quong Qing (previous known as Chungking). It was originally the 20th Factory before 1949, and was a Major ammunition producer then, as it has been in current times.

In at least 9 mm Makarov caliber, the factory has made ammunition for NORINCO with both the “71” factory designator and the “Double, Intertwined Circle” mark.

Their ammo has also been packaged for and sold by the Jing Am Equipment IMport/Export Corporation, as well as NORINCO.

John, when are we going to see the Makarov book? So much in there (like the info above) I’m looking forward to.

Wish I could answer that. I have tried to keep working on it, but I have technological problems to overcome. The text has been finished, except for updates and corrections which are easy to do, for about three years. I have more pictures to take, all the pictures to caption, all the pictures to put in proper order in one file in the computer (a massive chore of itself with about 1000 pictures), a table of contents to do, etc. Then I have to find a publisher again. The last few years have been very hectic for me and while it is not too hard to find time to work on the book, it is hard to get motivated; once motivated my lack of computer skills and the problems it causes takes the motivation away quickly. Unfortunately, I have no one in the area to sit down and help me like many authors seem to have.

I hope to finish it, but can’t say when. In the interim, it just gets better and better.

IAA Wesbsite Staff: This is more or less and email to John. I know it intrudes on this thread with little interest for those interested in the subject of the thread. Give Jon a chance to read it and if you want in a couple of days, delete it from the thread with my blessings.

Got it.

Alex, since March 4, 1996 the “Double Ring” trademark is indeed property of Chongqing Changjiang Electric Industry Group Co., Ltd. This is their latest logo:

Any idea what year the plastic box above is from?

Don’t know the exact date but it would be after 1996 because of the trademark registration. There is also a series of recent carton boxes in different colors that also shows this “new” logo.

The “triangle” headstamp is a trademark of Heilongjiang North Tools Co., Ltd., Mudanjiang City, Heilongjiang Province. This company started making .22 LR cartridges in 1958.

You have to remember that China is still very much a Communist country and all businesses operate under state control. That is why they are so good at flooding the west with cheap consumer good. There is no internal rivalry, if the umbrella factory is quiet they will pack shoes for the shoe factory next door. So who inside China makes the ammo doesn’t have the same implications as it would in the west.

Has anybody else noticed a subtle element of copycat in the packaging? The light blue colour and the orange colour are too close to Eley box colours to be a mere coincidence. And the standing and kneeling shooters in a target background on the plastic box, I’m sure I have seen that before somewhere.

[quote=“Fede”]Alex, since March 4, 1996 the “Double Ring” trademark is indeed property of Chongqing Changjiang Electric Industry Group Co., Ltd. This is their latest logo:

[/quote]

Fede, that is interesting as the earliest hs with the double rings I know of is from 1959. So they must have registered it much later or 1996 was the date when the trade mark registry got prolonged (if such things can expire). Or maybe it a date when the company was restrucutured and had to reregister all for legislative reasons?

Alex, this registration describes the exact trademark as shown above, including the Chinese characters and “DOUBLE RING” wording. Have you ever seen this in boxes made before 1996?