Chinese .22 LR Box

Found this one doing storage duty for things other than .22 LR. As I remember, these came in paper wrapped bricks of ten boxes. Can’t remember if the wrapper had much info. I think the headstamp may have been something like the inter-locked ring logo seen on the box. No “Child Warning” or “Range Warning”. Only marking not shown here is a (6) digit lot code on the inside of a flap. These were bulk shooting fodder ca. early to mid 80’s (though I don’t know why I didn’t save a box as it is kinda neat…) What brand is this?

Thanks,
Dave

The interwined circles, I believe, would indicate that this ammo was sold thru NORINCO (China North Industries Corporation).
That in now way tells us who actually made the ammunition, since NORINCO is a sales Agency controlled by the People’s
Liberation Army of the PRC. The ammo could have been made by virtually any factory in China that makes .22s. Maybe
someone will know. The intertwined circles trademark was used on pistol ammunition made at Factory 71, but it is possible it was also used on the products of other factorys represented by NORINCO. I don’t know 22s at all, but perhaps someone else will know what factory they were made at.

Just in case, these two circles are also found on 7.62x54R.

I have a few boxes of these also and was wondering who made them? I have the orange box like above and a blue box that looks the same but is marked as 5.6mm instead of .22. Both have the interlocking circles on the box and headstamp.

White and Munhall shows the intertwined circles device on a 1950 7.9 m/m Mauser headstamp. The lot number on the box I have (484070) suggested to me the first three digits might be the date of production. My notes indicate this came my way in 1984. Jack

Thanks to everyone for the info on this box.

Jack,

1984 is right about when I recall going through a few bricks of these. You could be very correct with the lot number code starting with the date. Same first three digits on the box above.

Dave

I forgot that I did find some information on these Chinese boxes in Dunn’s “22 Boxes of the World”. Here’s what was said about them:

The Olympics offered us the first view of China as a producer of .22s. Their shooting teams used ammunition produced inside of China. All of their .22s should have been post World War II, as there is no record of .22s being manufactured during the war.

As China opened up for trade with the rest of the World during the 1980s, .22 were first imported into the U.S.A. These imports were halted for whatever reason about 1984.

North China Corp.: No information on this manufacture is available at this time.

MISC. ISSUES

These loads were produced by the North China Corp., Beijing, P.O. Box No. 2137 and were exported by China National Light Industrial Products IMPORT AND EXPORT CORP.

These boxes boxes were imported into the U.S.A. during the 1970s and 1980s. They are not available at this time.

PS: the orange box above is listed as a NC-1 LR-7 and imported in 1984.

In the sense that the Producer of a movie film foots the money and gets the project started, to call NORINCO
an ammuniiton “producer” may be perfectly correct, but they are a sales Agency that manufactures nothing,
to my knowledge. Their products are manufactured by many different factories and sold thru them. There are other
ammunition exporters, sometimes selling the same ammunition with even the same headstamp as NORINCO.

I have an example in 9 mm Makarov of the same exact ammunition of the same date and arsenal - 71 93 - exported
to the USA by both China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO) and by the China Jing An Equipment Import/Export
Corporation. Even the internal styrofoam holder for the ammunition is the same, as is the box construction. It is only
the color and printing on the boxes that are different.

As I recall, part of the excuse for banning most Chinese arms and ammunition products from importation into the U.S.
was that sales financed PLA projects, since NORINCO is a PLA - controlled company, or was years ago. I assume that
status has not changed.

The entire structure of Chinese industry is different to the western template. In the west we have thousands of seperate companies. All in competition with each other.This is capitalism.

In China they are still communist, there is only one shareholder, the Chinese Government. Every company whether making ammo or cheap plastic toys is ultimately under government control so production can move around fluidly from one factory to the next without crossing business boundaries. There is no internal competition. They present a capitalist face to the outside world these days but behind the facade its all state owned factories. Effectively the whole country is all one big giant company.

Thats part of the reason they are so damn efficient at what they do. They can be making .22 ammo one week and plastic windshield ice scrapers the next. Probably not literally but you get my drift.

The fact that they only have to pay the workers something like 10p an hour probably helps as well.

Falcon, I think you will have to modify that for our American friends to 15c but you are not wrong. However, wage differentials are destroying all Western industries. Cars , bicycles domestic appliances, you name it. The American government is trying to build barriers to protect their economy but ultimately it is a tide that cannot be turned. Money is like water, it has to find its own level eventually. I can buy in the UK an Isuzu Rodeo for 2/3 the price of a Ford Ranger. I am looking to buy one or the other in the new year for my business. What will I decide? Do I go with my pro-US insincts or do I go on price? taking into account the difference is about £6,000 UK?.