Chinese .44 Magnum Ammunition

There is a lot of action on the internet about a S&W 44 Mag that was blown up by Chinese ammo.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=465159

I have never heard of Chinese made .44 Magnum ammo. Has anyone seen any???

Suspect another explaination.

The photo is impressive!!!

Cheers,

Lew

I’ve seen these photos related to a number of causes, Chinese ammo is just the latest

These photos have been going around for over a year now.
The original most probable cause was double charged handloads.
Gregg

I can’t remember seeing Chinese 9mm on the ammo market (except the resale market on gunbroker for example) for a number of years.

I just cruised four of my favorite ammo-for-sale websites and couldn’t find a bit of Chinese pistol ammo.

I suspect a double load wrapped in some urban myth.

Cheers,

Lew

Yea, I’ve seen those pics associated with a number of different causes and warnings, but Chinese .44 is news to me!

It’s funny how many forums this story has been on, I’ve seen it on the Mythbusters forum most recently. I think the gun and the initial claimed story are real, but that it was just a confused man or else a told lie as to the cause. Clearly there is no Chinese 44mag ammo (the Russians don’t even make it), one of us would have encountered some by now, or at least seen some on the internet somewhere. If the guy was confused about the origin of the ammo or its headstamp, as to why he might have thought it was Chinese, then the closest thing I can assume that might have confused him would be either PPU ammo (which has the Cyrillic letters on it and might appear other-worldly to anyone not familiar with them), or maybe some Canadian 44mag with the “Imperial” headstamp and maybe for some reason his brain was thinking “Imperial China” - not that this makes sense. Alternately he might have meant to say “cheap Russian ammo” instead of “cheap Chinese ammo” in which case he might have meant the Wolf gold-line ammo, but that stuff is actually Serbian PPU of course, so who knows what to believe. Municion shows all the headstamps:
http://www.municion.org/44magnum/44magnum.htm

My money is on a double-charged reload.

This thread seems to think the whole thing a hoax: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/103819-chinese-44-magnum-hoax.html

Definitely Double-charged Blow up, FIRST Shot, wth sympathetic detonation on both sides.Examined one just like this several years ago ( in .44 S&W), with the same results.(Forensic examination.—in that one, it was double charge, and heavier bullet – 240 instead of 200).

Nice Photo, too bad the story is Krap.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Forensic Services
Brisbane Australia.

Looks like a speer bullet, it is probably a reloaded cartridge

Michel

What other non military CF ammo is coming out of China?
Anyone got any pics or info on steel cased, Chinese made 30-30 ammo? Headstamp NIC

We get Norinco .308/ 7.62 intermittantly in 20 rd civillian pack. Suprisingly good ammo but very mil-spec.
I would like to see the headstamps on those cases. As pointed out by Maverick that bullet does not appear to be “Chinese” (what ever that may mean but I’m sure you get my intention)

Its most likely a double charge or wrong powder. Most .44 mag powders are in the slow burning end of the range and fairly bulky so wrong powder gets my vote.

I have a 357 revolver recovered from an accident. The frame is badly damaged and the cylinder is in pieces. When the undamaged loads were pulled they were both double charged. Looks very similar to this.

As a reloader of forty years standing I can suggest that sustained double charging is very unlikely. Most reloading processes steer you away from it. Although a malfunction can wrong foot you and cause a case to go twice through the process through a lapse of concentration.
In many such instances the bulky powders used in magnum loads would overflow the case and be evident. I know we are not supposed to discuss loading data so I am going to be circumspect. If i were loading a .44 mag case using Alliant powders the two most likely powders are Blue Dot or 2400. Neither would take a double charge. Neither would fit a double charge into the case.
Where the real danger occours is in using a totally unsuitable powder through error or misunderstanding.

In the past year we had such an error on our range. The person involved ran out of Vhit N340 and used Vhit N310 instead. To him his logic was simple Vhit is Vhit. So what?

This IMO is where the danger lies. Blown up guns are common, more so than we might realise. I have seen several over the years. At Bisley we had 12 “failures” last year. Every one required a formal invesigation and all were down to to gross errors in reloading.

I have said before and I still believe reloading is beyond the ability of many otherwise safe shooters and should be banned. A strong and not altogether popular view but my opinion never the less.

In my 55+ years of pistol shooting I have seen more than one such revolver. Always the result of stupidity on the part of the hand-loader. What is remarkable is that I’ve never known of anyone hurt by such an occurance, if you do not count bruised egos. Testimony to the fine revolvers made by Smith & Wesson and Colt.

I have one such 38 Special revolver that I re-built by welding a top strap back on. Not to shoot (it’s clearly marked) but as a starter pistol using blanks.

Vince, Far more people are injured or killed by doctors than by handloading. Nothing is fool-proof. We’ve a world full of fools to prove it.

JMHO

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]
Vince, Far more people are injured or killed by doctors than by handloading. Ray[/quote]

Amen to that! But its rarely made public

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD TOPIC BUT BACK IN 98 I WENT TO WORK FOR WILD WEST AMMO IN LANCASTER CA. ONE OF OUR EMPLOYEES QUIT AND WENT TO WORK FOR A CHINESE AMMO RELOADING COMPANY BEING SET UP ON THE OLD GEORGE AFB. THEY HAD MACHINERY SENT FROM CHINA ALONG WITH POWDER AND BULLETS. THEY TRIED GETTING INTO THE GUN SHOW MARKET BUT THEIR PRICES WERE HIGH AND THEY HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE DOING. THEY QUIT LOADING AFTER THE MANAGER GOT HIMSELF AN AR15 AND DECIDED TO LOAD SOME AMMO FOR IT HIMSELF. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT HE USED POWDER FROM THE 9MM LINE AND SPENT SOME TIME IN THE HOSPITAL. MY COWORKER CAME BACK TO WILD WEST A FEW DAYS LATER. I DON’T REMEMBER WHAT CALIBERS THEY LOADED BUT AT THE END THEY WERE DESPERATE TO MAKE A PROFIT. SORRY BUT I CAN’T REMEMBER WHAT THE COMPANY WAS CALLED.

The big question on this was did .44 mag chinese ammo ever exist or was it just another urban myth? I don’t see how so many knowledgable people on here could have missed it if it did exist.

As I stated above this revolver was circulating the internet for a long time before it came around with this latest “Chinese” connection. I’ll bet I’ve seen it in at least three variations. Chinese being the last.