Chinese 5.8 x 21mm cartridge headstamp

I have been shown a 5.8 x 21mm Chinese pistol cartridge with the headstamp 74 08. The case is copper washed/plated steel, the bullet is magnetic, the berdan primer pocket is empty. The case has a short neck crack and the bullet appears to be glued into the case. The case had large blobs of soft solder (tin/lead) which I have been able to remove by heating with a blowtorch and wiping quickly with a coarse cotton rag (yes I probed through the flash holes first to check that the case was empty!).

Is this a known headstamp on this round?

gravelbelly

The “74” as a manufacturer is known, the years start at least in 2003 (the earliest I know of so far).

That one you have is almost certainly a former keychain souvenir rd which has had the keychain fastener removed. Some of them unscrewed or pulled out, and some did not. The bullet is real though (with steel core), as well as the headstamp and case so it is a good ammo collectible for that.

I have seen
74 02
74 03
74 09
74 10
11 01

I have shot both the the QSZ-92 and QSW-06 pistols in 5.8mm. The QSZ-92 was reasonably accurate and had a smooth trigger for a range gun. Although I couldn’t pick up fired cases, I did get a close look at them. Spilt cases (neck, shoulder and case side) and backed out/missing primers were very common. The suppressor on the QSW-06 was very effective but the pistol did not feel as good or shoot as well as the QSZ-92. The overall cartridge length for the rounds fired from the QSW-06 looked longer than those fired from the QSZ-92. However, the guns are loaded for you and so I was not able to see the cartridges side by side.

NATO Dave

With solder on the case, it was more likely to have been part of a model tank or plane than a keyring. I hope we someday get unmodified examples of these modern Chinese rounds.

[quote=“NATODave”]I have seen
74 02
74 03
74 09
74 10
11 01
[/quote]
I can add 74 08 to that list for one that I have. JonnyC is probably correct about the solder being a model related thing now that I think of it.