Chinese 5.8x42 DBP-10

hello

picked this up on the China-defense forum, maybe this will be of some interest to you all

Thanks Max!

Thanks, Max. Is the article saying that 5.8x42 is being made in two versions, lacquered steel case w/Boxer primers, and copper washed steel case w/Berdan primers?

Looks like somewhat late yaw on the bullet?

There are brass cases too.

Max - thanks for the article. I don’t read Chinese but the CWS cases in my collection are Berdan primed. The one example of the lacquered steel case that I’ve just looked at appears to be Boxer primed. This is consistent with stanc’s interpretation of the article. I’ve not seen any brass cased examples to date. I shot a QBU-88 in China in 2009 and as far as I could tell all the cases were lacquered steel - unfortunately they forbid you from picking up the fired cases - a real cartridge collectors hell! Never-the-less it’s fun to try out the rifles and pistols in 5.8mm!

NATO Dave

I used to have a photo of brass-cased 5.8x42, sent to me by Timothy Yan. Not sure I recall correctly, but it seems like he said it was a sniper load.

If I recall it right we had this subject here before and basicall all known cartridges were shown. Does anybody know where the tread went?

EOD,

NATO Dave posted a nice listing of Chinese headstamps (including the 5.8x42) here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10992

Dave

A little teaser/tangent for those interested in Chinese small arms ammunition…one of the planned speakers for the IAA Seminar at SLICS will be making a presentation on this very topic…

Paul Smith
IAA Research Committee

[quote=“PaulSmith”]A little teaser/tangent for those interested in Chinese small arms ammunition…one of the planned speakers for the IAA Seminar at SLICS will be making a presentation on this very topic…

Paul Smith
IAA Research Committee[/quote]
I do hope that the text of the presentation will be appearing in the IAA Journal immediately afterwards!

Tony, it’s a good reason for you to make the trip!

The one I have has a brass case, but do not know what kind of primer. HS is 71 96. Bill

What are the loads with the black bullets for ?

According to “official” sources the black bulleted loads are “heavy” loads for MG and sniper rifle.

The article has been translated by an anonymous source. Links:

pastebin.com/gVRijSf9

pastebin.com/jMJdWh8r

pastebin.com/auPg0rXZ

Thanks for the links!

Here is a link to video of what appears to be 5.8x42mm ammunition production: liveleak.com/view?i=e02_1363669338

They show hand loading 10 round stripper clips and packing loaded clips into boxes near the end of the video.