Chinese 7.92mauser Jiangnan manufacturing general office (shen(申))

Manufacturing and jiangnan manufacturing general renamed a month before October, the first year of the republic of China.
If there are any mistakes, please correct them in time. Thank you

3 Likes

What is the year as per the western calendar?

In October 1910.

in oct 1910

The Chinese used the German designation 7.9 mm for this cartridge, not the very popular but in this context incorrect 7.92 mm, which is of post-WW1 Czechoslovak origin.
I recommend to avoid using “Mauser” in connection with this cartridge, because it was developed by German (Prussian, to be exact) state arsenals. Mauser had no role in its creation.

UFO, thank you for clarifying the date as I was not sure anymore when which calendar system was used.

Chinese dating ( year of the Republic) began with Year One being 1912 ( 1911 CE plus 1)
Hence Year 1 rifles ( 6.8mm) and year 4 rifles 1915, 7.9mm, Both Mauser Designed Rifles.
Before 1911 revolution, the dating system was either Gregorian, ( for
“modern” usage), or the ancient Imperial Dynastic system, ( Year X of Emperor Y.).

Regards
DocAV

I’m sorry, I wrote the wrong year, it was 10 made in 1912, 一 represents one, the first year of the republic of China,10 represents October, and 申 represents the production enterprise.
Previously, China used the emperor’s calendar, which refers to the year and month when the emperor ascended the throne.
I don’t quite understand how to name this ammo because the Chinese remember 7.9mm for the type of gun, but the Chinese use a replica or German made commission M1888.

1 Like

So “10” = 1912 ?

The Gewehr 88, as it was called in Germany, was the first in caliber 7.9 mm, or, to quote from its field manual: “…das Kaliber - beträgt 7,9 mm.”
This designation was kept through the change from round-nosed to spitzer ammunition (Patrone S in 1903/1905), because, contrary to wide-spread opinion, the barrel bore diameter was not changed. The 7.9 mm caliber designation remained the same until the end 1945. Because the caliber was not part of either weapon type or ammunition type designation, the number 7.9 shows up rarely. But it is documented in (most) weapon manuals through 1945.

Edit: On this forum, Chinese headstamps with either 79 in Chinese script (transliterated by Phil Buttler) or “7.9” in western figures (case from 1952) have been shown.

Alex,

No, she is saying the number “1” stands for one year after the revolution in 1911, so = 1912 and the number “10” is 10th month October.

Joe

Joe, tanks! So at least I got the 1912 corret.