Chinese or japanese arisaka 6.5?

Hello all,
got some 6.5 with 3 indentations on primer.The warhead is White copper and the cartridge is brass.I saw some info that this kind of bullet(White copper head,brass cartridge,no mark on primer but 3 indentations ) is not only made by jap,but also red army and kmt after the war of resistance against Japanese.One difference is chinese made have green sealant,and japanese made have red one.Because the sealant has come off,I really wonder whether they were made by japanese or chinese.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Bullet is Cupro-Nickel alloy; case design is typical Japanese Type 38 cartridge. 3-stab primer crimp also typical Japanese.
Chinese made 6.5 cartridges usually have a headstamp, for both makers…KMT before 1949,
PRC 1950S dates.
IMO, your cartridges are Japanese in origin.

BTWoo, where are you from, and where these cartridges found?
Doc AV
Australia

1 Like

Hello,thanks for the info. Actually most of the chinese 6.5 have headstamp,but red army made some without headstamp for a short time after the war with jap.I am from Shanghai,mainland China,these cartridges were found in Dalian.

1 Like

Yuuki,
DALIAN (Port Arthur) is close to Shenyang( Mukden),
Which arsenal during the Japanese occupation, (1931-1945) made T38 rifles and 6.5 ammo for the puppet state of Manchu-kuo and the Japanese Kwantung Army.
The arsenal had been set up by Marshal Chang Tso linked,(" the Old Marshal) in the 1920s with Japanese help.
In late 1945- early 46, after the Soviet Army had occupied
MANCHURIA ( August 1945), the KMT flew in troops to take over Manchuria forROC. The US Airforce supplied the Transport planes.
The Mukden arsenal was immediately put back into operation producing the Type 45 short rifle on an Arisaka type action in 6.5 Japanese cartridge. This rifle was produced till 1948 when the Chinese Red Army occupied Manchuria. Production continued with some modifications to internal parts.

Doc AV.

CHANG TSO LIN ( The Old Marshal)

Doc AV

Doc AV
That‘s right ,and I just found the headstamp of the kmt made 6.5(3 ones below on the pic),none of them have 3-stab primer crimp.But unfortunately,that info also said that pla produced another batch of 6.5 with 3 stab,green sealant and without headstamp after the liberation war for a short time…
yuuki

Slight segway:
On the subject of Japanese made ammo, a friend has some .303 British that was supposedly made in Japan durung WWII…
Does that sound right, and “Why?”?
I am trying to get together with him to get some pictures.

Japanese .303 (7.7 m/m rimmed) was primarily intended for Japanese naval Lewis and Vickers machineguns. Jack

japanese made .303 ammo is for the type99 rifle and machineguns.Which mostly used by IJN and Japanese army stationed in Northeast China during the AntiJapanese War.There are still a large amount of .303 ammo left in many abandoned japanese fortresses in Northeast China.

Yuuki: the .303 cartridge cannot be used in the Japanese type 99 rifle. Jack

There are several types including the flat tipped explosive and a number of headstamps of the 7.7 mm Rimmed Japanese (aka .303") that Ken Elks covers nicely in his 2 volume book(s) about Japanese ammunition.

Sry ,my mistakeT.T

What firearms did Japan have that took the .303 British?
They must have had a boatload of them for the need to make the ammunition!
Thanks, all!!

The Japanese navy used Japanese-made licensed versions of the Vickers and Lewis machineguns primarily as aircraft armament. These guns were in the original British caliber and ammunition was made for them in Japan. Jack

p.s. to Yuuki: trying to remember which 7.7 m/m cartridge was fired in which Japanese weapon has always been a difficult task.

Japanese Army: Type 92 MG: 7.7x58 Semi Rim; Type 99
LMG & Rifle: 7.7x58 Rimless.

Japanese Army Airforce: Type 89 Nambu & Type 87 Vickers air: 7.7x58 Semi Rim.

Japanese Navy & Naval Air: Type 87 Vickers Air & Type 92 Lewis 7.7x56R (aka .303British).

Ammunition for Army/Army Air is Army Arsenal Produced with NO headstamp;
AMMO Naval use produced by factories located in 3 Naval Dockyards 7.7x56R is Headstamped: Dockyard–Trimester/ Japanese year—7.7.

Doc AV

Thanks, Doc!
I bet that made inventory control a mess for their Quartermasters…

I would love to visit one of those abandoned forts!
I’m actually surprised that any “abandoned” metal (steel, brass, etc.) survived The Great Leap and the Cultural Rev.

There are 17 forts in Northeast China.1
3 of them were developed as pavilion and open for public(second pic is part of one fort,other parts are still developing because of the damage.)2 .Others are still left undeveloped.Most of these forts located deep in the mountains,so the abandoned metal survived the great leap.These years folk expeditions start to find these lost forts to remember that history.BTW,there are also over 80000 Permanent works around there,search them are much safer than the undeveloped forts.