Chinese PDW?

Just saw a posting on another forum asking for info on a report of a new Chinese PDW in 4.6x30mm. Anyone have info on this?

Here is the translated chinese article

The Tiny 4.6mm Terror
January 13, 2010: China has developed a new PDW (Personal Defense Weapon, or pistol replacement) using a 4.6x30mm round. The new weapon is a variant of the Type 79 PFW (which uses the old Russian 7.62x25mm round), weighs 1.6 kg (3.6 pounds) and has a 30 round, dual stack, magazine. Rate of fire is single, 400 or 600 rounds per minute. It has a Picatinny rail on top for scopes and sights. With the telescopic stock closed, the weapon is 34cm (13.4 inches) long, and 54cm (21.2 inches) with the stock extended. The weapon is gas operated with a closed bolt.

The bullets are about half the weight of 5.56mm ones, and the 4.6mm round is lethal at short ranges, especially in bursts. The bullet travels at high speed (over 700 meters a second). The 4.6mm round will not penetrate walls or ceilings as well as 9mm or 5.56mm bullets, meaning less chance of unintended casualties.

JonnyC-

Where was the original posting you saw ?

I saw it on The Firing Line forum, essentially the same info as above. I have since seen the same paragraph on the China Defense Forum. I would guess it is a PRC weapon designed around the RG/HK 4.6mm round, but I do not know that for sure.

if you explain me how to post a pps file here, I have nice pictures of chinese weapons
jp

There a drawing on this site: china-defense.blogspot.com/2010/ … liber.html

JP–You can not post .pps images. Images need to be in .jpg format for posting on this Forum.

I’ve seen photos of it as a H&K MP7 type weapon (markings on the trigger group look like the standard H&K ones and as such make me think people have just Googled “4.6mm PDW” and put up pics of whatever comes up).The drawings Tony provided looks (to my eye) like a bastardised AK/MP-5 hybrid.

Heres the TFL thread

Unfortunately none of the sources above contain any real info about the cartridge. I guess we will have to wait a bit for that.