Civil War Era Minie's?

Found among my late friend Zeke’s paraphernalia.

The three on the left are still intact, the three on the right had the paper crack and the powder spilled out.

The bullets have an OD of .577", are .965" long and weigh 32 grams, 1.129oz., approx. 500 grains.

I assume these are large caliber Minie Balls, Civil War era or later?

You might consider suggesting that your friend try to protect the remaining intact cartridge, to keep them from breaking up like the others. These appear to be correct Civil War (or earlier) cartridges which tend to be pretty pricey ($40 or more each).

What would be good ways to store and protect paper cartridges like this?

Too late for my friend, he passed away and I have been asked to “curate” some of his stuff. I will probably sell these as I have been told that they can fetch up to $100 apiece, but who knows?

I to am curious as to how to wrap them to preserve what’s left I though a good careful wrap in Saran wrap might be good.

[quote=“Recoil Rob”]Too late for my friend, he passed away and I have been asked to “curate” some of his stuff. I will probably sell these as I have been told that they can fetch up to $100 apiece, but who knows?

I to am curious as to how to wrap them to preserve what’s left I though a good careful wrap in Saran wrap might be good.[/quote]

One way is to put them in the plastic coin collector tubes with cotton at both ends. M. Rea