Civilian Incendiary Ammunition?

Can this be legal? I found a add selling what they are calling “45 ACP Starburst Incendiary Ammo”.

Here is the language of the add and its link. I know here in Florida, Everglades fires start with just tracers.

“This ammo is a yellow tip Incendiary ammo that will explode with a bright white flash and emit a shower of titanium sparks upon impact. This ammo will burn a little hotter and give you more sparks and fragments, than regular incendiary ammo, due to the added Sponge Titanium in the Incendiary mixture in this ammo. It is visible day or night upon impact. It will burn at 4000 degrees when it hits a hard target. This is some extremely fun ammo to shoot and has a devastating impact. Use extreme caution when shooting this ammo, it will start fires when it explodes around flamable objects.”

ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/prod … diary-ammo

They seem to be advertising promoting its reckless use?

It certainly wouldn’t be legal over here. Is it true incendary (ie intended to start fires), or just “flash on impact”? I supect its the latter in which case its probably getting round the law by being classed as some form of pyrotechnic.

We used to make something similar by drilling a hole in the front of a lead .45 bullet and sticking a .22 starting pistol blank in the hole.

Depending on where you live, it’s legal. I wouldn’t waste my money unless you just want something that’ll make a cool flash to impress the ladies. ;-)

These kinds of “Ooh and aahh” rounds are a staple at gunshows around here. Along with all the Dragonsbreath and Super-Armor-Piercing shotgun shells.
…Even though they carry drek like this, ammunitiontogo is a still good company. You should check out some of their other ammunition.

My information says that Incendiary ammunition of any caliber is essentially illegal to possess (unless you have a class 10 or 11 FFL) in California or Washington D.C. Other states which have bans on firing incendiary ammunition on “forested” or state land include: Michigan, Nevada and Utah. In New Jersey it is legal to possess, but illegal to actually discharge it anywhere in the state. In Connecticut it is illegal to buy, sell, or shoot incendiary ammunition in 50BMG caliber only. Hawaii, Tennessee, and Florida have bans on “exploding” ammunition, which starburst/spotter projectiles probably qualify as. Florida, Illinois, and Iowa have specific bans on shotgun gauge flame shells (dragon’s breath). That’s about it, there are no federal laws, other than that there are some tracer and incendiary regulations for federally owned ranges, and when in national forests. Many states have laws against hunting with tracers or incendiaries, but otherwise not on possession or use. Many of these laws are fire-prevention related, and few law-enforcement officers in most of these states are even aware of the laws. California and Washington D.C. residents are probably the only ones who need to be really careful. If anyone wants the specific statute codes P.M. me.

Also, these “starburst” bullets are usually not that dangerous even though they advertise them to be. Remember that the mini-explosion is just sparkler-type sparks or magnesium / titanium / thermite type stuff that blows-out at a very high rate of speed, and actually snuffs itself out after 1 second. The photo above probably took them about 50 tries until they got an explosion of that quality for instance. The sparks don’t actually shower everywhere and then land on the ground and continue to burn, the incendiary compound is very minimal, especially in pistol bullets. They need to hit a hard target like rocks, gravel, vehicle, or pavement; dirt and wood wont usually do. Not to say that if you fired 10 rounds into a pile of leaves with some rocks in it that you might not start a fire, but on open ground it is difficult. Think of it this way: If you had a sparkler in your hand and held it over grass or a bush for 20 solid seconds, would anything catch fire? Probably not, the sparks burn out quickly, even though they are advertised as "burning at 10,000,000,000 degrees or whatever they are always saying. This stuff could ignite fuel on the ground perhaps, or if enough were fired into a vehicle or brush pile something could happen.

Thank you DK! Fantastic information on the laws of this type of ammunition. I was really shocked seeing it and the way it was advertised.

Jason

Vince, cleaver 45 trickery.

ASCorley - You are correct, that site does have allot of other really nice ammunition. I do not know much about it, but am thinking of buying a few cases of their POWRBALL 9-mm ammunition for my home defense weapon. Really neat design with impressive expansion and limited over penetration. I currently use MAGSAFES with the large pellets inside covered by some type of clear resin.

I think I will start a thread on home defense cartridges :-)

Jason

Thanks for the info on the specific laws DK.

Jason,
They have a lot of great ammunition. My humble recommendation for SD ammo would be the Federal HST. You’ll get 50rds for about the same price as 20rds of the powrball. They offer HST in 147gr 124gr and 124gr+P in 9mm. It’s a good deal and they are truly excellent hollow points. Powrball is not bad or anything, but for price and effectiveness, the HST is very tough to beat. I have purchased and shot a decent amount of the HST and like it a lot. Just my $.02.
Allen

[quote=“APFSDS”]Vince, cleaver 45 trickery.

ASCorley - You are correct, that site does have allot of other really nice ammunition. I do not know much about it, but am thinking of buying a few cases of their POWRBALL 9-mm ammunition for my home defense weapon. Really neat design with impressive expansion and limited over penetration. I currently use MAGSAFES with the large pellets inside covered by some type of clear resin.

I think I will start a thread on home defense cartridges :-)

Jason[/quote]

Thank you VERY MUCH for the great advice Allen! I am totally going to switch to one of those recommended rounds.

Jason