Classic hangfire, lucky man

Almost one for the Darwin Awards, this has been around for a while but while the forum goes quiet, it is entertaining

ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81869689/

Natural way to weed out IDIOTS! If the sound track is right sounds like he had Two misfires.

His first shot he misses the target 15 feet away by several feet…with a shotgun! Then look down the barrel after a dud round?
And to post it on the web? Forrest Gump would be proud.

To put a more technical ie ammo related, spin on the video. The “hammer” falls, its quite audible so it wasn’t a jam. The primer it is reasonable to assume was well struck. Yet it took that long for the round to fire.

I don’t know how many people on here have ever seen a real hang fire. In all my life on the ranges I have only ever seen one that went like that. I have seen and experienced many times a momentary pause when firing off very old ammo to get rid of it. In those instances though it was something you sense rather than an interval of time you could measure.

In my opinion, apart from being amusing, (although it comes that close to being tragic), it is actually quite a rare ammo event captured for the record.

When a shooter get a misfire we teach them to remain in position and count to five before ejecting the round. In that instance I don’t think even a count of five would have been enough.

Personally I think that guy was lucky to not end up as a story in his local newspaper.

I think it had to have been faked. No one would do that, As previously observed, I’ve seen lots of duds and I’ve seen lots of hangfires. My experience is that duds don’t fire at all (at least on the first try) and hangfires last just fractions of a second. As George Frost relates in “Ammunition Making.” the only LONG hangfire he ever saw involved an artillery fieldpiece when someone inserted the last powder bag backward with the black powder igniter pad on the front end.

I saw one once many years ago at an informal clay shoot on a friend’s farm. A shooter had a misfire and put the cartridge on the bench in front of him base down. Several seconds later it went POP and spilled shot over the bench. The cartridge was a paper cased reload and had been stored in a damp outbuilding on the farm. But they are, as you say, very very rare.
I’m going to download it anyway, to use it as a training aid to reinforce the need to follow the misfire procedure.