Clip id

Can anyone ID this clip please?
The only marking is a “H” in an oval what should stand for Hirtenberger in Austria I think. The finnish is a slight copper plating.
The portion left of the cut out is raised like a shallow nose in order to prevent the clip from sliding all way into the weapon.

Length: 66mm
Width: 12.2mm
Depth: 4.9mm (over “nose” near cut out 5.8mm)

[quote=“EOD”]Can anyone ID this clip please?
The only marking is a “H” in an oval what should stand for Hirtenberger in Austria I think. The finnish is a slight copper plating.
The portion left of the cut out is raised like a shallow nose in order to prevent the clip from sliding all way into the weapon.

Length: 66mm
Width: 12.2mm
Depth: 4.9mm (over “nose” near cut out 5.8mm)

[/quote]

EOD

Could you post a picture of the other side of the clip please? Have you tried any cartridges in it to see what range of rim and extractor dimensions suit it?

At the moment I don’t have a clue what it is so I was sitting tight waiting for someone more knowledgeable to jump up with the answer. The boy in the class who doesn’t know the answer shouldn’t put his hand up. But, I ran out of patience. So, if you don’t want this bit of unidentified scrap, toss it in my direction!

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly, you are right, I should have tried some cartridges before. The 7.63 Mauser for example fits very well.
The other side of the clip is totally unspectacular, just a plain “spring inlay” which also has a very thin layer of copper.

A picture of the other side of the clip would be very useful. How is the spring held in place? Does the spring have parallel sides or are the sides rebated?

It’s like nothing that I’ve seen before so I can’t help with identification so congratulations on an excellent find.

Peter

Here the inner side, sorry for the bad quality image.

This is just a starting point for you - a real guess. You might want to contact Josef Moetz about this clip. I think, from the design of the inner side, where the cartridges slide in, it looks very much like a Steyr Hahn (M1911/1912) clip but of course isn’t, as it doesn’t have the extensions on the ends and it is too short. But, it could be for one of the other series of Mannlicher pistols. Remember, the 7.65 Mannlicher is the same case as the 7.63 Mauser.

Just a thought for a place to start. I could be 100% about face.

It is not a six-shot Mauser Pistol clip in my opinion. They look quite different.

John, I thought of J. M

Thank you for the extra image, the thing gets more interesting.

Would it be possible for you to tell us the distance between the flanges that would fit into the extractor groove of the cartridge?

The clip is of a type developed and patented by J Roth where the clip is formed from three components. There is a channel shaped body, a pressure plate and sandwiched between the two is a ‘W’ shaped spring that pushes the pressure plate upwards. The most usual clip of this type is the one made in Czechoslovakia by Sellier & Bellot and others.

Happy collecting, Peter

Peter, the distance between the flanges is 8.6mm - as said a 7.62 mauser (or any similar caliber) fits well.