Cogswell & Harrison 475 Nitro

I recently re-discovered a bag full or cartridges I purchased at SLICS way back in 1999. Closer inspection of a severely corroded 450 Nitro revealed that it was, in fact, a 475.

I can’t get the headstamp to show up in a photo, and I don’t want to steal pictures from another website, but if you look at http://www.cartridgecollector.net/475-nitro-express-3-%C2%BC, it is the first headstamp shown, and the projectile is the one at the far left in the bottom photo.

I’m curious who actually manufactured the round, and about the bullet – which seems to be a departure from what one normally finds in British nitro express cartridges.

Incidentally, the bullet pulled right out due to a cracked neck, and it was loaded with ribbon-like cordite (axite?).

Any insight would be appreciated.

The “E” after the 475 notes Eley as the case maker for C&H.

That bullet is commonly found with this headstamp, & sorry but I can’t tell you more than that about it. Does it have any base mark?

Ribbon-like Cordite is Cordite, as Cordite is extruded in strands & Axite is chopped Cordite.

Thank you, sir. I thought the E might be Eley, but I also thought it could just be Express. Also, thanks for the correction on Axite.

There is no mark on the bullet’s [concave] base.