Collection Signage Advice Needed

Over the years, especially this year, my collection of inert tank fired DS and related ammunition has really grown. I was thinking of have a few small but blatantly obvious signs or plaques made at a local trophy shop to place in a few eye catching spots with-in my collection/display stating the fact that everything is 100% inert, safe and legal. My question is, “Is this a good or bad idea?” If it is a good idea, what should the verbage on the sign say? Here are a few I came up with below;

Any input would be appreciated :-)

Jason

EVERYTHING IS
100% INERT
DISPLAY MODELS

ALL ITEMS
100%
INERT & SAFE

ALL ITEMS
ARE 100%
INERT & SAFE

DISPLAY MODELS
100%
INERT & SAFE

LEGAL
DISPLAY MODELS
100%
INERT & SAFE

Jason, the going EOD rule is: “if you can’t see into it treat it as a life item” - unfortunately that may include possible disposal by local authorities.

Plaques won’t change anything except for occassional visitors or friends to which you can talk unlike a cop that, for what reason ever, walks into your house and has to take decisions after he has seen your collection.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking; plaques won’t help. :-( BUMMER!!! Everything I have is totally inert, and most everything is sectioned.

So, you are also saying that another added plus for sectioning specimens is that they then become see threw in a way that “professional examiners” can see they are empty and inert :-) I think I am going to start sectioning the rest of my collection now, at least the cases.

Jason, I do not know if it will be realistic to cut everything but the cartridge cases are of the smallest concern if somebody decides to cause you trouble.

Basically I would try to keep everything in an “easy to disassemble” condition. Means all threads or connecting points should be loose.
Bending backwards all ife to please ignorant people might be difficult.
You decide!

Thanks big time, Alex. I personally prefer the sectioned rounds so I may try to section the cases of the steel and brass cased 105’s that are not already sectioned. Also, in most cases, the inert projectiles all lift off their cases for easy inspection. Hope this helps.

I love sectioned rounds, preferably with a 120 degree cut all the way down so they are still stable when standing up. That gives the option of displaying (and photographing) them looking complete or sectioned, just by rotating them. If I could wave a magic wand I’d have my whole collection like that, but I haven’t the skills or equipment, and if I did I wouldn’t have the time…

I’m with you on that, Tony. I love the sectioned items and am going to slowly start sectioning additional items. I have some of mine sitting on lazy-susan swivels that I made by gluing them to 6 inch cut-off blades so I can spin the shell around to show either the sectioned view of intact view. :-)

Jason

APFSDS,
Dont destroy your collection if you dont have the proper equipment to do the sectioning. If projectiles can be removed, display them beside the empty cases. Makes for easy examination. Live primers are what scare me. Make sure yours are inert. If you do have DU projectiles keep them stored high and dry and away from your other items. Some people say you can sleep with them. I dont agree. I have fired thousands of them and the gun tubes pick up contamination and other non-Du rounds have to be fired to remove the DU to a level that the tube will pass rad. inspection before being cleaned. If you had a fire around them it could be interesting. If any of them have a yellow powder on them you have a problem.

Rookie

Thanks again for the great information. It must have been amazing firing so many of these and working first hand on their development. Do you have any pictures? I’d love to see some if you have any you feel comfortable showing. I have been fascinated by this type of ammunition for a long time and cannot learn enough. I have put a Geiger counter up to each item in my collection and non show any abnormal levels. I have carefully checked all the primers and they have all been fired. In some cases, I removed the primers from the cases and soaked them in penetrating oil and polished them to new shinny condition :-)

Jason